Creative Spirituality

Spirituality to me is becoming one with every part of yourself. This image contains the 7 chakras in yoga. The completion of opening all chakras is the goal.

Objectives: This unit had 3 different objectives that we were required to touch base upon in this unit’s blog posts and blog responses. These objectives are:

• Become familiar with was in which spirituality influences artists
  • Discuss the differences between spirituality and religion
  • Examine spirituality as a generative force and well spring for creativity

Artifact(s):

1) ‘Creative Spirituality Discussion’ blog post

2) ‘Creative Spirituality Reflection’ blog post

Reflection: When looking back at all of my posts, I was pleased that I was able to meet all three of the unit’s objectives through my blog posts; ‘Creative Spirituality Discussion’ and ‘Creative Spirituality Reflection’.

The first unit objective wanted us to explore and become familiar with the different ways of which spirituality influences artists, which I was able to incorporate within my ‘Creative Spirituality Discussion’ blog post. In my post I mentioned that Grey states in the unit reading that, “artists need to be able to see on each level in order to bring technical beauty, archetypal beauty, and spiritual beauty to their work” ( 2001). This quote tied in Saint Bonaventure’s three eyes of knowing that Grey talks about in the unit reading. These three eyes of knowing are spiritual influences that artists may use in order to create their artworks.

I was able to  meet the second objective through my ‘Creative Spirituality Reflection’ blog post because I discussed some differences between spirituality and religion. Everyone who completed this ‘Creative Spirituality Reflection’ assignment would have met this objective because one of the questions asked us if spirituality differs from religion. In this post, I said that these two topics have some differences but they also intertwine. I for one believe that spirituality happens takes place within an individual and deals with the soul whereas religion like I said in my post is “the belief in a high power”.

Through my ‘Creative Spirituality Discussion’ blog post, I was able to meet the third unit objective which was to examine how spirituality is a force and aid for creativity. In this blog post, I stated artist’s may use spirituality to see. Then introduced Saint Bonaventure’s three eyes of knowing, which Grey talked about in the unit’s reading. In the unit reading, Grey states that, “artists need to be able to see on each level in order to bring technical beauty, archetypal beauty, and spiritual beauty to their work” (2001). The three eyes of knowing may allow an artist to build their artwork or evaluate and understand another artist’s artwork. This is how spirituality may aid an artist’s for creativity.

Future Goals: Since I was able to meet all three of this unit’s objective, I would not change any of my post. This was an interesting unit for me because spirituality is something that I did not know much about or understand. I may not understand the topic fully after this unit but I’m not sure on what other objectives that should be added in order to do so.

References:

Grey, A. (2001). Art as Spiritual Practice. The Mission of Art (1st ed., pp. 205-233). Boston & London: Shambhala.

BACKNEXT