Special Education Doctoral Student Profile

Stephanie St. Joseph

Hello everyone!  My name is Stephanie St. Joseph and I am in my third year of the Special Education doctoral program. I have worked as a school psychologist for 12 years in New York, North Carolina, and South Carolina. My background includes substantial work with MTSS, special education law, data collection, crisis response, and students with autism spectrum disorder.

I am interested in researching how to improve wellness and mental health for students with autism, specifically in a school setting. I am currently working on a study that is modifying cognitive-behavioral therapy to address anxiety in children with autism. Additionally, I consult with a local school district on their Tier 2 and Tier 3 implementation of a PBIS framework.

Living in Oregon is a huge change from living on the east coast, but it is SO beautiful. I chose the University of Oregon because of its strong reputation in the field of special education, and because there are so many wonderful and influential people in the Special Education department. I am challenged everyday but have also received some spectacular opportunities.