Unit 6 —Enjoying Horror

Generally speaking, the sense of horror should be disliked by people. However, as a matter of fact, in our daily life, we surprisingly find that people enjoy the sense of horror. This is such a paradoxical but common mental situation in people’s mind. A great number of people have the favor of entering the cinema to feel the horrifying factors like the mise-en-scene, diegetic sound, non-diegetic sound and so on, which horrify them but rise the sense of pleasure deep down in their heart at the same time.

There are many horrifying factors which are common in the horror films. Among the common horrifying factors, the mise-en-scene, diegetic sound, non-diegetic sound are found here and there in all horror films. For example, many horror films have their films set in the haunted houses, which people are too worry to go inside. Let’s take the famous Japanese horror film named The Rings as an example. The Rings has scared people to die but win great reputation and then become classics of horror film. The setting of The Rings is a little town and a haunted house, which is famous for ghost and no on dare to live inside. As for the diegetic sound, in the film named The Rings, we can find the sound of the wing, and many other natural sounds, which appear reasonably but horrifyingly. The digetic sounds keep the audiences’ sense of horror. And the great example of non-digetic sounds in The Rings is the special sound which cannot be heart in our daily life. When hearing the special sound, which is not digetic in our daily life, the audience can feel that the ghost is coming and the sense of horror come to the audiences.

The example of mise-en-scene, diegetic sound and non-diegetic sound is common in the horror films so that it is easier for us to understand these horrifying factors bring the sense of horror in the audiences’ mind. Only when all the mise-en-scene, diegetic sound and non-diegetic sound are used in horror films, can the films be horrifying. The mise-en-scene of haunted house can contribute to the audiences’ aesthetic of horror because the setting of haunted house can not only bring the audience into the context, but also rise the interest of the audience because they will be pleasure looking forward to what is going to happen. And the diegetic sound like the sound of wind can scare the audiences because all the audience have heard the sound of wind and they will look back on their experience of hearing the sound of the wind and feel they are right in the film, which can make them completely entered the story and the atmosphere of horror. As for the non-diegetic sound like the special background music which shows the ghost or something horrifying is coming will give rise to the expectation in the audiences. All the factors above can prove that the sense of horror can make people have the sense of pleasure at the same time.

3 thoughts on “Unit 6 —Enjoying Horror

1. Hi, Shelly

I really like the example you provided. The movie “The Rings” is really a famous horror movie in the Japanese horror movie history. I still remember when I was young, I usually heard from people that the “The Rings” was really scared, but I have no courage to watch this movie alone although I would like to watch it for a long time. Then, when I grew up, I met a friend who was really in favor of horror movie. I just watched it with my friend, and clearly I was really nervous, and especially scared by the mise-en-scene, digetic sound, and non-digetic sound. According to the presentation, “Digetic sound can be either on screen or off screen depending on whatever its source is within the frame or outside the frame.” is degeic sound. In the movie “The Rings”, the ring sound always scared me and implied the death of the people in the movie. I think the digetic sound really plays a key role in the horror movie, and non-digetic sound as well. Therefore, your analysis were great and it reminds me a lot of my previous experience.

Yiran

2. Hi Shelly,

I would agree with you that people often do enjoy horror films even when they are not supposed to, but they should rather be terrified than enjoying it. Do you think that any of the sounds heard throughout the films have anything to do with it? Or any other factors do you believe come into play that make people enjoy these films when rather they should be terrified of them?

I do think that digetic sounds keep the crowd interested and on there toes which makes the movies more interesting and enjoyable for the audience. But I do believe that outside of the sounds made throughout a film, that it is also the enjoyment people get out of getting scared and getting their adrenaline pumping is what makes the horror films enjoyable for people.

3. It’s funny that you say we surprisingly find people enjoying horror, because I feel like I don’t like watching scary movies, but I like the feeling it gives me at the same time. It is like a sense of rush. It is interesting that you say that because that is how I feel exactly about the paradox. Mise-en-scene, digetic and non-digetic sound is not only common in horror films but they are definitely common in all films. I think the non-getic sound and the mise-en-scene are the most import in horror films and probably with all films. I feel like music and what is happening in the films give you more feelings than just verbal talking or noises from an animal or something. Just seeing something creepy with creepy music can really make me feel horrified. You gave a really good example with the film The Ring. I liked how you gave good definitions of each aspect and it was easy to understand!