Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography

1.) March, Lionel. The Geometry of Environment. MIT, 1974. Print.

Initially I wanted to use this source as a reference to develop the patterns I would use on my screens.  Although my project headed down another road, this is still a great resource for looking at geometry.  It is interesting how repeating a simple shape in a variety of different ways can create vastly different geometric patterns.

2.) Hauer, Erwin, and John T. Hill. Erwin Hauer: Continua : Architectural Screens and Walls. New York: Princeton Architectural, 2004. Print.

Continua is a good reference for inspiration on screening devices.  I really love the elegance of his screening devices, and the way they play with light.  I also find it interesting how he works with technology.  That is something I would like to do more in my projects.

3.) Olafur, Eliasson, Mieke Bal, and Madeleine Grynsztejn. Take Your Time: Olafur Eliasson. San Francisco, Calif: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 2007. Print.

Olafur Eliasson’s experiment Movement, looked at the beautiful images  created by shining a focused light source onto a simple disc.  As the disc moved in the breeze, the caustic images slightly changed and morphed into something new.

4.) Olafur, Eliasson, and Anna Engberg-Pedersen. Studio Olafur Eliasson: An Encyclopedia. Hong Kong: Taschen, 2008. Print.

I am inspired by the simplicity of Olafur Eliasson’s projects, or rather the talent he has for making rather complicated and precise phenomena look simple and elegant.  I also enjoy that many of his projects openly display how they work, rather than concealing all the background components in a neat little box.

5.) Guzowski, Mary. Daylighting for Sustainable Design. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000. Print.

This book is a good reference for architectural applications for my project.  Although it is currently designed as an object, it is interesting to think about how it could be transformed into a solar tube installation, or sky light fixture.

6.) Scarpa, Carlo, Guido Beltramini, and Italo Zannier. Carlo Scarpa: Architecture Atlas. Venezia: Regione Del Veneto, 2006. Print.

This resource was used for my inspiration presentation on Carlo Scarpa.  I am constantly going back to Scarpa’s work for inspiration.  The simplicity in his work and the way he plays with light and water is incredible.  The Canova Plaster Cast Gallery is a great project to look at for light and contrast.   Scarpa is able to create a very dynamic atmosphere with the way he brings light into the gallery space.

7.) Alesina, Inna, and Ellen Lupton. Exploring Materials: Creative Design for Everyday Objects. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2010. Print.

Exploring Materials is a great book to get quick ideas on materiality and simple ways of solving design problems.

8.)  Swirnoff, Lois. Dimensional Color. New York: W.W. Norton, 2003. Print.

The reading on bounced color helped me to better understand the phenomena.  I am really interested in the use of color in projects, not just bounced color but also light filtered through tinted film like a stained glass window.

9.) “Moholy-nagy.org: The Moholy-Nagy Foundation.” Moholy-nagy.org: The Moholy-Nagy Foundation. Web. 21 May 2012. <http://www.moholy-nagy.com/>.

I love looking through Moholy Nagy’s projects and experiments.   He works with light and the way we perceive color in really interesting ways.

About Nancy Cheng

Univ. of Oregon Architecture Department head Nancy Yen-wen Cheng, RA, LEED AP researches how design tools and approaches shape outcomes, with a specialization in how craft and computation can stimulate the creative process. She has developed expertise in manipulating sheet materials to create light-modulating structures and has researched how surface relief patterns can increase convective cooling. She has developed fold and slot joints that give structural rigidity to foldable sheet structures and is eager to apply them to rapidly deployable refugee shelters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.