Jason Silveira Candidate Statement 2019

As an Associate Professor at the University of Oregon, I recognize the importance of shared governance and being a good citizen of the University. Further, as a tenured faculty member I feel it is my responsibility to take on more service commitments to better serve the needs of the University, the faculty, staff, and students as a member of these important committees. My approach to service is student centered, and I engage in service that promotes student development, promotes the institution, and promotes the profession. I have been active in my service to the School of Music and Dance serving on several standing committees and search committees. Recently my research and service have focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion in music education – specifically within the LGBTQ community. I currently serve on the Planning Committee for the LGBT Studies and Music Education Symposium, and will be hosting the conference at UO in summer 2020. I have been fortunate to be able to serve the profession, and I hope to have the opportunity to do so at the university level.