Anne Zemper Candidate Statement 2019

As an LGBTQ woman in science, I am particularly passionate about ensuring the equity and inclusion in not only my research program, but to also use my participation on committees and my position as a professor, to promote equity and inclusion wherever I can have influence. In this, I have participated in a number of programs at University of Oregon to introduce a wide swath of students to the excitement that I find inherent in the sciences. This includes lectures to undergraduate courses that introduce students to research, such as freshman interest groups and the honors college freshman research course. I have also given presentations at two UO programs designed to recruit under-represented groups to STEM programs, the SPUR program through Biology, which provides summer research opportunities, and the Preview Oregon program, which brings talented URM undergraduates to campus for several days to introduce them to the research environment. This past year, I was one of three faculty to sit on a Panel for the LGBTQ in STEM student group here, where we discussed LGBTQ-related issues dealing with Professionalism in Science.

I hope to be elected to be more involved in Equity, Inclusion and Outreach efforts across campus.