Miracles

Published on: Author: rgelhart@uoregon.edu

In this section of Mark (1:21-3:6) Jesus performs several miracles. The first of these is an exorcism. When I consulted the notes in the New Testament I found that in Mark the unclean spirits immediately recognize Jesus and that there is struggle when the exorcism is performed. This can be related to the political struggle at the time. He has authority and power over the demonic spirits for the benefit of the people while engaging in the political conflict with the rulers. Jesus then heals a woman of a fever which is the first of several key healings of women in Mark.

Jesus then heals the leper in 1:40-45. Lepers were interpreted as a channel of unclean contamination of an individual and society (Lev 13-14). Jesus responds to the lepers challenge to heal him in defiance of the long process that has been drawn out by the law for healing. The next miracle that Jesus performs is healing the paralyzed man. He equates “your sins are forgiven” with “stand up and take your mat and walk” (Mk 2:9) as by way of saying the man is paralyzed because of his sins. This power to forgive sins equates Jesus with God or having the divine power of God and elevating him so that his teachings are more respected by this community.

One redaction that Matthew put in the parallel passage that I thought noteworthy was that it was the blind man that Jesus healed who spoke to the people and disobeyed the order to not speak of the healing. I thought this was quite symbolic as the blind man was given sight not just within his eyes but sight of faith through Jesus and he spread his new vision with the community. I also noted that there were different miracles performed by Jesus in Matthew and Luke. In Matthew Jesus conquers the sea which I felt gave a more encompassing and convincing portrait of Jesus as the Son of God. He also gives a man who is unable to speak the power of speech again of which his work and healings are spread through the man as well. In Luke we see the miraculous catch of the fish which is not present in Matthew. This is included in Luke to present Jesus in a way so that he can be trusted to carry out God’s salvation of humans. He is seen as a savior in many situations which alludes back to the overall theme of God’s salvation of the people through Jesus.

I think the Q passage in Mark gives Jesus a more authoritative image as it refers back to Isaac, Abraham and Jacob. It also distinguishes the difference between Jesus and the servant as he says that he is not worthy of having Jesus under his roof. Jesus grants him healing of his servant by way of his believing in Jesus as a healer and not needing visual proof or reassurance. This gives more value to the idea of faith and trusting it blindly as a way of acknowledging Jesus as the Son of God.