Messiah and Son of Man

Published on: Author: hbraun@uoregon.edu

The meaning of the term “Son of Man” is debated, and appears to be different in different contexts. Some argue that it was a term used in place of “I,” as if used for speaking in the third person, because Jesus used the term to refer to himself on many occasions. Within the context of Daniel 7:13-14, it’s not a messianic title, but rather a phrase that signifies either an angelic figure, or an eschatological figure that is expected to be coming. The verse speaks of the “Son of Man coming in the clouds,” which presents an image of angelic being. In 1 Enoch, we see the meaning of the phrase start to shift, where it has more judge-like overtones. It is used interchangeably with other terms such as “messiah” and “righteous one.” It seems to imply that Enoch himself is the Son of Man, and was once in a position of authority in heaven. The book of Enoch, and the use of “Son of Man” within it, has created some controversy between scholars who study world history. This is due to the fact that the date that it was written is unknown, and it’s also unknown whether or not parts of it were later additions, because they seem to contradict other parts.

We also see “Son of Man” similarly used within the context of the gospels, where the term is generally used as a messianic title, like “savior” or “messiah.” When Jesus uses it to refer to himself, he implies that he is the eschatological figure that was previously spoken of. But although this title evokes thoughts of divine, angelic figures, it also emphasizes the fact that Jesus was fully human as well.

If I were a Jew living in the first century, I would probably be confused and skeptical about Jesus. I would’ve expected the Son of Man to descend to Earth angelically, and appear as a divine being. I would’ve expected Him to have power and a large presence, and to bring judgment upon the people. I would expect a righteous, almighty being. The fact that Jesus came to Earth as a helpless human baby, who went through trials and suffering just like other humans, would be hard to believe. It would also be hard to believe the fact that he had to die the most shameful death possible. I would be wondering why God, the king of the universe, would have to endure those things if He were really God. But, Jesus’ coming was prophesied, so I think I could get passed the skepticism after the initial shock. At that point, I think I would be extremely interested in hearing what Jesus had to say, and how he demonstrated how he was who he said he was.