Essay 3, 3X the Charm, Group 3

Collective Communication with Confidence! Open dialogue from everyone eliminates potential communication failures and encourages boundary spanning, creating a more cohesive team (Lingard et al, 2004 and Edmondson, 2003). Open communication is necessary to prevent important content failure (missed vital information due to poor communication) as well as unnecessary tension in the operating room (Lingard et al, 2004). It’s also important to keep in mind that communication timing matters as well, as occasion failure can lead to the same results as content failure if information is not shared early enough (Lingard et al, 2004).

Leaders are Readers: Read the room (and act accordingly).  A good team leader encourages speaking up and promotes boundary spanning (Edmondson, 2003). A good team leader also listens to every member (regardless of status) and contributes to the psychological safety of all team members (Edmondson and Roloff, 2008). Lastly, an effective leader coaches their team members through seeking input, encouraging collaboration, and providing feedback (Edmondson, 2003). By creating a safe dynamic organized for collaboration, a good leader allows collaborative planning by all members of the team, leading to a more organized, effective, and motivated team (Woolley et al, 2008). 

Plan with a purpose. An operation room is composed of a variety of experts, which can be its biggest asset (Edmonson and Roloff 2008). They key to leveraging that asset lies in the process of planning; without an effective strategy to integrate group members’ diverse expertise, said expertise can be wasted and group productivity may be diminished (Woolley et al, 2008). Such a strategy for information integration should include open communication and universal knowledge and acknowledgment of all members’ expertise within the team (Woolley et al., 2008).

arofael

5 Comments

1. I like the alliterative slogans that you used, they are catchy and easy to remember. Also I like that you packed a lot of information from the readings into the essay without compromising the flow. If the blog did not have a word count limit I would have been interested in what examples you might have used to apply your tips. Great job!

2. Very well organized and explained! I especially like the alliteration of the first tip!

3. I think what you bring up about the responsibility of being a leader means is very important. Many times, people assume the position of a leader and end up not being a leader. Instead they are invasive and harmful. They act more like a bad boss then a leader. A leader needs to be someone who a group member can come to for help and if they screw up. Many inexperienced leaders will simply divide up the work and will only act as enforcers to make sure the work is being completed. A leader must make their group feel safe and confident about their working abilities and comfortable making mistakes.

4. These are all great suggestions! I especially like the tip “leaders are readers”. It’s important that if there is a leader that they acknowledge everyone and listen to all opinions and create an atmosphere in which all members feel psychologically safe. An open dialogue is also key, especially in a hospital setting! the more shared information the better!

5. I enjoy all three of your slogans. They are all catchy and very creative. Each slogan applies nicely to what it takes to have efficient group work. Communication is extremely important especially in an setting like the operating room. I believe these slogans will help aid in better group work in the OR.