Serial – podcasts

I somehow missed that this has been happening. Produced by Ira Glass and This American Life. (In fact, this journalist Sarah Koenig sounds like she is doing an imitation of Ira’s style, both writing and delivery. It was quite distracting to me at first. But she is definitely using that conversational delivery, direct address rather than just a detached narration report.)

This story is kind of like the listener is playing detective in this murder case that happened 15 years ago, and Sarah Koenig is the listener’s avatar or stand-in. She seems to be asking the kinds of questions that not only she wants answered but also what she thinks we, the listeners, want answered, too. So she is a classic narrator, the kind who appear in both fiction and nonfiction. She was approached by someone who was a friend of the young man who was convicted of this murder (a jury found him guilty of strangling his former girlfriend) who didn’t believe he was guilty and thought he had been railroaded. So Koenig takes on the task of talking to the convicted killer, now in prison, a lot of witnesses, looking at the physical evidence, of which there was very little, and essentially playing detective.

There is a lot to listen to, 11 episodes so far. It is very skillful storytelling. Just listen to the beginning of Episode 1. First we hear the automated phone message announcing a call from a prisoner, then Koenig goes into a little essay, almost, about how hard it is to remember things, which she does by asking several teenagers who she knows to tell her what they were doing 6 weeks ago and of course they don’t remember. And then at 3:50, a couple of minutes in, she begins to tell us what it’s all about. So she uses foreshadowing with the phone message, so we know this is going to be about something to do with a crime, and then adeptly introduces the kinds of characters she will be dealing with, i.e. teens, and demonstrates that they don’t remember anything very well. The main characters themselves are no longer teens. The case happened 15 years ago. So she uses teens who are teens now to remind us what these people were like. And she introduces suspense, by letting us know that the story is going to turn on memory. Then she starts the story.

The story follows a classic whodunnit form in some ways. “What was the nature of the killer?” is the key question. And it’s a classic question for crime stories, again both fictional and nonfiction. She seems to let us in on everything she is finding out, we listen to interviews and go where she goes. But she also holds things back until she can get the maximum storytelling impact from them – sometimes small things, sometimes a revealing piece of information about one of the characters.

Episode 7 is a bit different. Most of the first half, about 15 minutes, is Koenig having a conversation with an attorney who heads the Innocence Project at the University of Virginia. The conversation does not seem to be edited. It feels as though we are right there in the room with the two – although, weirdly, I think they are not in the same room. Koenig says she asked the attorney to go to a studio and talk with her. Did Koenig go to the same studio? Were they talking by phone or Skype? It’s not clear. So, even though it feels like verite, if you think about it from outside the story, it’s clear there is a lot of construction going on.

It’s gripping, there is a lot to say about the series. And the last episode comes this Thursday.

42 Comments

on “Serial – podcasts
42 Comments on “Serial – podcasts
  1. As I am looking at your writing, baccaratsite I regret being unable to do outdoor activities due to Corona 19, and I miss my old daily life. If you also miss the daily life of those days, would you please visit my site once? My site is a site where I post about photos and daily life when I was free.

2. Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job.
    I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site

토토 도메인
    토토 먹튀
    토토 사이트 도메인
    토토 사이트 순위
    토토 유저
    https://www.j9korea.com

3. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a great job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Firefox. Outstanding Blog! qqmobil

4. You actually show it very easily with your presentation, but I think this is one fact that I think I’ll never understand. It seems to me that it is too complex and very broad. I’m looking forward for your next post. I will try to understand that! 메이저사이트비교

5. Our new baby gift baskets are the perfect way to convey your warm wishes and love to the proud parents. Filled with a delightful assortment of baby essentials and adorable keepsakes, these baskets are a thoughtful and practical way to celebrate the joyous arrival of a new baby.

6. Discover a world of cutting-edge IT products at Weselldeadlots. We offer a wide range of top-quality IT products to cater to your business or personal needs. From laptops and desktop computers to networking devices, peripherals, and software solutions, we have it all. Our extensive selection features renowned brands known for their reliability and performance. Stay ahead of the technology curve with our innovative IT products that empower productivity and connectivity.

7. Aw, that was a really top quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and also real effort to make a excellent article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and also by no means seem to get something done. rut tien 789win

8. Oh my goodness! an excellent post dude. Thanks a ton However We are experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Cannot sign up for it. Is there everyone acquiring identical rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx MSNBC Live Stream Free

9. This is really smart blog. I imply it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so good deal passion. You also know ideal make ladies rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve obtained a style here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Excellent work, indeed. MSNBC Live Stream Free

10. Photographs found on your web site regardless of whether generating fascination speedily a bit of volume submits. Pleasing way of long lasting potential, I shall be book-marking back then turn into your current floor conclude comes up ” way up “. VIN777

11. Can I just say that of a relief to locate someone who actually knows what theyre preaching about online. You definitely learn how to bring a problem to light and work out it important. The best way to ought to ought to see this and appreciate this side from the story. I cant believe youre less well-liked as you certainly possess the gift. ĐĂNG NHẬP

12. Easily that website can certainly irrefutably gain popularity concerning nearly all blogs in addition to site-building men and women, to help it is diligent threads as well as assessments. bongdalu

13. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. bóng đá lu

14. BSNS Consulting excels in providing exceptional Accounting Services in Pakistan. Our dedicated team of financial experts ensures accuracy, compliance, and efficiency in managing your financial records. With a commitment to excellence, BSNS Consulting is the trusted partner for businesses seeking reliable and professional accounting solutions in Pakistan. Streamline your financial processes with our tailored services at BSNS Consulting.

15. Bsns Consulting is a trusted digital marketing consultancy that specialises in providing comprehensive solutions to businesses looking to enhance their online presence and maximise their digital marketing efforts. With a deep understanding of the evolving digital landscape, our team of experts offers strategic guidance and practical expertise to help businesses effectively navigate the digital realm.

16. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. anwar ratol mango

17. Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting equivalent rss drawback? Anyone who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx heat shrink wrapper