Q & A with Jamie Francis

Jamie Francis is the Director of Photography at Blue Chalk Media, a media company founded by those who believe in non-fiction storytelling, and is formerly a staff photographer at The Oregonian from 2005 – 2014. Francis has been a photojournalist since graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1985.

Having been a professional photojournalist for over two decades, Francis has insight into the world of non-fiction storytelling. Francis sat down with me to discuss his career as a photojournalist and how he’s making the transition from a photojournalist, to a multimedia journalist.

How did you get started in journalism?

I went to school at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, and I wanted to be a sports writer. I was from a really small town, and when I got to college, I realized that I could write sports, but it took me a while. I was pretty slow at it.

So, I ended up at the school newspaper and soon found that I could compete in the visual world. I was much better at it, and much faster at it. And then I got a job working at a newspaper in Durham on the weekends. It paid my way through college.

I realized that I enjoy photography and decided to pursue it as a career after college. It was just one of those things that stuck with me. One of my favorite things about working at The Oregonian was being abel to go overseas and document refugees in Syria. I found a lot of reward in that.

Syrian refugees: Ninth grade girls escape death, search for life from Jamie Francis on Vimeo.

Given your new job at Blue Chalk Media, how are you working toward making transition from a still photojournalist, to a multimedia journalist?

You know, that transition came about when I left The Oregonian. And it’s completely new to me. As I said before, I’m doing things now that I never thought I would be doing. Sometimes I serve as the audio guy; sometimes I serve as the producer, and other times I serve as the director of photography. It’s a hard change. I have to learn something new every time out, which is really fun and exciting. The transition is the fun part, and the challenging part.

We do a lot of commercial work, and it’s very much less journalistic by nature. But, the roots that we’ve drawn, and the roots I think make us special as a group are journalism roots, and I like that.

Now that you work with Blue Chalk Media, do you think your creativity is more open than it was at The Oregonian with respect to the kinds of stories you get to tell?

That’s interesting that you bring that up. I guess I would counter by saying newspapers are always a beast with an insatiable appetite, and I think that’s very important.

In any environment, you’re responsible for creating. That’s how you see yourself. If you’re going to create, you’re going to create, or you shouldn’t be trying. So, were newspapers restrained in some way? Yeah, in what they published. But, the great thing about newspapers is that you had a benefactor to go do the work you wanted to do because anything with an insatiable appetite has to be fed.

You can sit back and wait for somebody to tell you how to feed the beast, or you can feed the beast with content you want to have your name on.

I feel like I was mostly, along with many other great people at The Oregonian, in the category to be able to choose how to feed the beast.

So does it feel more creative? In some way yes because there are more tools, but no more creative than feeding the beast with what you want to. It’s important to establish a direction and an approach. And within each piece, it’s understanding how to crack the question, “What is creativity for this piece?”

Where do you see photojournalism going?

I think the people who were going to do top end photojournalism, like Magnum, I think they’re going to continue moving forward. I think for people like me who love daily journalism, daily journalism is not a place where I want to be. I don’t mean that as a slam. There are just so many things you’re expected to do, I think it’s difficult to take a breath in today’s journalism world.

Unless you can carve out your own identity where editors say,” We know Alan. We trust Alan. He can go off for five days and come back with 7 killer pictures,” it’s a very tough industry to be in. If you can put yourself into that situation, it’s a great situation to be in.

But, I think there are fewer and fewer people who are able to do that. The bar is higher for people like me. I worked my way up. I wasn’t great. And not that I was ever great, but I wasn’t the personality who got a job one year out of college, where people said of all the people in this pool, we’ll take him. It was harder for me, and it took me longer.

So, if you can carve out that identify for yourself, I think you can make a great career. So, I think the great places to be are at places like Blue Chalk Media, who value great work and understand great work.

I want to shift away from the industry, and more toward your individual work. You’re an expert at using time lapses. One of my favorite pieces of multimedia is your piece for The Oregonian called Lost Lake: Heart of the Mountain, which opens with a time lapse. How do you incorporate time lapses into your pieces?

Lost Lake: Heart of The Mountians from Jamie Francis on Vimeo.

One of the biggest things about that is you have to be willing to do things over again, and just say well… it’s not going to work tonight because there’s no movement in the sky, or the conditions just aren’t right.

I think with the Lost Lake piece, there were two trips there. The first time, there was just nothing. During the second trip, there was sweet sky and the sun came out.

I think when it’s done right, it’s timeless. It’s super useful, I think, for short pieces like that. Especially those that involve landscape. The thing that makes still pictures great is they’re all open to interpretation. It might mean something to you, that it doesn’t to me. Or I might see something that you don’t. Hopefully, we both see something in it.

And I think a time lapse works in a very similar way. It’s evocative in the sense that it might not mean the same to both of us, but hopefully it means something to each of us.

If you could give one tip to an aspiring visual journalist like myself, what would it be?

Well, you’re not going to get rich in this field I think that’s important to note first. If you’re lucky enough, you can have a spouse that understands the time that goes into this industry, and that’s great.

That being said, it’s a field where you have to practice. And I really mean practice. You have to constantly find stories, and prove that you can constantly find stories, and execute them properly.

I think that’s the most important thing to understand is that this is not a field where you can work a 9-5 job. It’s a field where if you want to be great, you have to work at it. Personally, I find it very self-rewarding.

Despite the money, it’s the best job you could ever do. There’s nothing more rewarding than this profession because you get to meet so many amazing people. I couldn’t imagine having another career.

38 Comments

on “Q & A with Jamie Francis
38 Comments on “Q & A with Jamie Francis
  1. Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job.
    I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site

토토 도메인
    토토 먹튀
    토토 사이트 도메인
    토토 사이트 순위
    토토 유저
    https://www.j9korea.com

2. Embedded software development services involve the creation and programming of software that is embedded in electronic devices, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and other electronic components. These services are typically offered by specialized firms that have expertise in electronic engineering and software development.

3. Stay informed about the dynamic Vancouver real estate market. From modern condos in the heart of downtown to family-friendly homes in the suburbs, explore the latest trends, listings, and investment opportunities in this vibrant coastal city.From trendy downtown condos to charming suburban homes, our listings showcase the diversity of Vancouver’s housing opportunities.

4. Experience urban living at its finest with apartments for sale in Richmond. Discover a diverse selection of stylish condos and apartments in this bustling city, known for its rich culture and convenient amenities. Start your journey to homeownership in Richmond today.Explore our listings to discover modern condos with stunning views, conveniently located in this thriving community. Your ideal Richmond apartment awaits.

5. IhostVPS is a premier VPS hosting provider in the USA. Our cutting-edge infrastructure ensures lightning-fast performance and unparalleled reliability. With our user-friendly control panel and expert support, we empower businesses and individuals to harness the power of USA VPS hosting for their online ventures.

6. IhostVPS is a premier VPS hosting provider in the USA. Our cutting-edge infrastructure ensures lightning-fast performance and unparalleled reliability. With our user-friendly control panel and expert support, we empower businesses and individuals to harness the power of USA VPS hosting for their online ventures…

7. Our new baby gift baskets are the perfect way to convey your warm wishes and love to the proud parents. Filled with a delightful assortment of baby essentials and adorable keepsakes, these baskets are a thoughtful and practical way to celebrate the joyous arrival of a new baby.

8. It’s really great. Thank you for providing a quality article. There is something you might be interested in. Do you know baccaratcommunity I would like to write an article based on your article. When can I ask for a review?

9. Welcome to Vallee Real Estate Group -Your Trusted Partner in Real Estate Services.Our real estate group is committed to providing top-notch services for buyers and sellers alike. With a strong focus on market trends and customer satisfaction, we aim to exceed your expectations.Unlock the potential of your real estate journey with Vallee Real Estate Group.

10. Revitalise your business with our wholesale dead stocks selection. At We Sell Dead Lots, we specialise in offering dead stock items that still hold immense value. Our wholesale options are designed to help you maximise your profits while minimising costs. Explore our range and unlock hidden opportunities in surplus inventory.

11. Cherished could well be essentially the most needed gatherings that you saw. You might without doubt must carry out it as being pleasant as you can. In the garment to get a plants for one’s wines to your advantage people’s toast, all kinds of things wants to be in the right sequence. tải app 78win

12. According to my research, after a property foreclosure home is marketed at a bidding, it is common for your borrower to be able to still have a remaining balance on the loan. There are many loan providers who aim to have all fees and liens paid by the next buyer. Even so, depending on particular programs, restrictions, and state laws and regulations there may be some loans that are not easily resolved through the exchange of loans. Therefore, the obligation still lies on the client that has acquired his or her property in foreclosure process. Thanks for sharing your opinions on this web site. jun88

13. Can I just say what a aid to seek out somebody who really knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. Extra individuals need to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant consider youre not more in style since you positively have the gift. Rút tiền VN58

14. An fascinating discussion will probably be worth comment. I do think that you can write regarding this topic, it will not become a taboo subject but typically everyone is too little to communicate in on such topics. Yet another. Cheers Tải app 123B

15. Quite insightful post. Never believed that it was this simple after all. I had spent a very good deal of my time looking for someone to explain this topic clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep it up Nhà cái Xo88

16. After research a few of the blog posts in your website now, and I really like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website listing and will probably be checking again soon. Pls check out my web page as nicely and let me know what you think. nhà cái uy tín dev

17. For those who have thyroid issues then you could know that this gland generates hormones within the body. When your body just isn’t capable to generate these hormones in the manner that it should it trigger imbalances within the body that may lead to the excessive production of moles. nap tien 789win

18. I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i’m happy to convey that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to don’t forget this website and give it a glance regularly. tylebongda

19. You sure do understand what youre talking about. Man, this website is just great! I cant wait to learn much more of what youve have got to say. Im really happy that we discovered this after i did because I was really beginning to become bored with the whole blogging scene. Youve turned me around, man! bóng đá lu

20. This article is an appealing wealth of useful informative that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. I know it very well that if anyone visits your blog, then he/she will surely revisit it again. bongdalu.beer

21. obviously like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll certainly come back again. https://bongdalu5.one/

22. Incredibly best man toasts, nicely toasts. is directed building your own by way of the wedding celebration as a result are supposed to try to be witty, amusing and consequently unusual as well as. best mans speech netflix