Is Food Art? {Discussion}

First, I want to clarify that in this post I will be addressing “food” as the finished product, not the process of cooking (which could be considered craft).  I will be discussing whether or not a plate of food can be considered art.  I’m using the word “art” to mean a piece of artwork, just like one would say a painting is a piece of artwork.  I am also going to brush the surface of answering thiss question because one could write a never ending essay answering this question. So here I go:

The author describes food as a minor form of art (Tefler 24-26).  I’ve never thought of it that way but I believe she is right.  Food is a minor form of art because not all food is considered art. For example, fast food? Not art. Even though in the video it is said that it was “scientifically crafted” for us.  Which could be considered art, but not by me.  I consider some food works of art like cakes, and dishes at fancy restaurants made to look pretty.  That, to me, looks like a work of art.  And the taste of it could also be considered a work of art, but for me I think the look of food is the most important part.  The author also talks about an “aesthetic reaction” (Tefler 11).  For me I believe when one looks at a dish, or a beautifully designed cake, it should be considered that one could have an aesthetic reaction: “food can elate us, invigorate us, startle us, excite us, cheer us with a kind of warmth and joy…”(Tefler 26).  For example, I spent months trying to design a cake for my 21st birthday.  I wanted it to be stunning, and awe people.  I wanted to get a reaction out of my peers.  While giving the design to the baker, she asked “what flavor?”  Of course, I was so worried about how my cake would look I didn’t even think about the taste, the main function of a cake!  So, of course I believe food can be a work of art because it can give us that aesthetic reaction, it can awe us just like a beautiful painting can take our breath away.

I believe this view on art is a representation of the modernism view and the postmodernism view.  The reason for this is my view on food as art has a little of both belief systems in it.  From the modernism era, comes the idea of “‘disinterest’ [implying] that viewers could appreciate any art, even the artwork of eras or cultures far removed from their own” (Dissanayake, 18).  I believe food could be looked at in the same way: a recipe from years ago that has been passed down from generation to generation can still be made and appreciated.  From the postmodernism era is the idea that “any ‘truth’ or ‘reality’ is only a point of view”(Dissanayake 19).  This means that everyone has their own opinion, or “taste,” regarding food and are able to form their own opinions about both the look and taste of the food.  They are able to do this regarding art as well, so therefore food is art.

4 Comments on Is Food Art? {Discussion}

1. Devan
    October 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm (10 years ago)

To begin with, I agree with your post when saying that food is an art form. I also agree when you say that fast food should not be considered an art because the food is not made with care or thought. There are a few things I would like to challenge from your post though. First, you claim that the only aspect of food that is art is its appeal to the eye. I disagree with this because I believe that art is both based on its visual appeal and its taste and smell. I think this because the taste, more than the visual appeal, evokes certain emotions. You also say food is art based on its beauty alone, but by definition art is intended to create an “aesthetic reaction.” Tefler says that “it is generally agreed that there can be aesthetic reactions to tastes and smells” which means that the actual taste of food should be considered an art. Finally, I agree that food as an art satisfies the postmodernist approach about what art is because “taste is relative” to the consumer. Challenging this part of your post, could you consider food as art to fit in with the eighteenth century approach about art? That is, could you classify food as art because it gives an insight into a culture and society because of the ingredients used to make it? Dissanyake claims that art is “recognized as having been a focal point in which a number of social and intellectual trends came together” (16). So is food also an art because it satisfies the 18th century theory?

Reply
  2. Fisher
    October 24, 2014 at 10:29 pm (10 years ago)

After reading your post on “Is Food Art” we have very similar opinions and discussion points on this assignment. First I would like to ask your opinion regarding the Slow Food video. In the slow food video the viewers see many images that represent the five senses, to me that is all considered art rather than just the look of the food. The slow food video strongly represents touch, feeling, sight, smell, and taste. Do you think the five senses attribute to is food art? After watching the video my thoughts on food being art drastically changed, and gave me many more reasons for why food should be considered art. Although in the reading (Tefler 24-26) states that food is a minor form of art. Do you agree with Teflers opinion on food being considered or not considered fully art or the video?

Reply
  3. Sabrina
    October 26, 2014 at 1:28 am (10 years ago)

I love your example of designing a special birthday cake. You regard the cake as an art product and hope it can surprise your friends, including it’s appearance and taste. There is no doubt that food as art product, it can give us that aesthetic reaction. I believe that is the reason why the chefs in Michelin starred restaurant are called artists. They can not only make delicious food but also delicate decorations for the food. However, I can not agree with you on the opinion that fast food are not art. As Dissanayake mentions that “art interpretation means that individual experience the world by their own cultural appreciation and sensibilities from the point of postmodernism” (Dissanayake, 1991, p19). People who enjoy fast food due to its convenience may believe fast food are art because it can satisfy their needs to some extent. In my point of view, people make food emotionally and all food are art product.

Reply
    • mjones6
      October 26, 2014 at 11:26 am (10 years ago)

Devan-
      To reply to your first claim about food as art only in the visual aspect, I mentioned in the very top that I was going to talk about food as an art in this way but I guess I didn’t clarify enough. What I meant was I agree that food can be art in the visual sense AND in the taste and smell sense. Sorry for the confusion, but I wanted to just touch on one of those instead of both, because that would have made the post too complicated. To reply to your question: I do think food as art could be categorized in the eighteenth century theory. “A gradual secularization of society, whose aim became life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for individuals rather than the acquiescence to a humanly unknowable Divine plan”(Dissanayake, 16-17). I think food as art would be described as “the pursuit of happiness for individuals” because food does make us happy and since that could be described as art, I think we are pursuing happiness in food.

Sabrina-
      I can see where you’re coming from but considering food as art, you have to separate the fact that food is also used as a means to satisfy hunger, and in that sense, food is not considered art. This was one of the arguments that Tefler was refuting in her paper: “food should not be considered art because it is useful…” (Tefler, 19). She goes on to basically say that yes, food is necessary, but food that is too complicated to be considered necessary should be art. For example, fast food is for satisfying hunger. Not a whole lot of effort goes into making it look and taste amazing and have a complex flavor palette. However, if one goes to a fancy restaurant, it’s main purpose is not to just satisfy hunger, but to create a unique dining experience and create an aesthetic reaction from the customer. Like Tefler says, “[fancy meals] also serve the functions of relieving hunger and providing nourishment, but they are a kind which shows that this is not the main point of them” (Tefler, 14).

Reply