Unit 2

Jiani Cheng
AAD 250
Professor: Scott Huette
Date: 07/22/2014
Analysis A Question of Values
In this week I read the first article ‘Six Ways We Make the Personal Choices That Shape Our Lives’. In this article author use different ways to introduce how to learn something. I with deep feelings. “A television series teaches English grammar by using music videos.”(A Question of Values) I remember when I first time to come to U.S, it is really big challenge. I don’t know how to talk with people. I’m afraid. Because I think other people don’t understand what I am talking about. I try to find the best way to learn English. On day I stay in the dorm with my roommate, we watch TV together. I thought many phrases from TV series. So I think watching TV series is the best way to learn English. TV series can help international students study very well. No matter who you are, you can learn phrase or sentence. It is better than to listen the music. Before I went to U.S, the English teacher recommend me to watch ‘Family Album USA’. They said it is really helpful. You can learn idiomatic English. I know watching English TV series are very difficult to me. I remember when I watched the first episode, I thought comfortable and enjoyable. It is not very hard. It is simple and have practical value. TV series is audio visual to learn English. We can see their facial expression and intonation.
However, listen to the music it is totally different. Some time they have liaison. For me, it is very hard to understand. Music is a kind of culture. Like in America, they have pop music, jazz music, blue music and so forth. They have their own story and history. So I think lyric is different to conversation. They have different ways. In the song some pounces are different. In my opinion, I think TV series are very useful and helpful. For my own experiences that is the best way to help to study English.

2 thoughts on “Unit 2

1. After reading whole article, I think I have the same kind of experience of learning English when the first time that I came to United States. Learning English as a second language is a really hard things and we should try to find a way that suit for ourselves. The reason is that different kind of people have different kind of way of studying. I think you do a great job of connecting value and study together. In the article, you try different way to improve your English. I think this represent your value of life style. Trying different of new things and define which one is suiting for yourself.

In our life, we should try different kind of new stuff to enrich our experience and create our own life style, which can help us enjoy our life. Sometimes we may find some new stuff that we do not like. However, we also need to accept it. Because it will help with our communication with other people due to them love it.

• Hi Dylan,
      Thank you for reply my short essay. We are both are international students. So we know the problem. Learning English is very difficult. Sometime we try to represent our feeling. Like you said we try. When we go aboard we try know different culture, need know how to talk with other people. On the lecture we feel boring, because we don’t understand what are talking about. Some time we try to find point to keep balance to our life. Like study and play. Some time we feel lonely. We decide to improve English and then make new friends. At the weekend, we join in the party. It is also the best way to improve our English. It is really challenge to us.
      Because we come from different family, so we have different value. For study we have different ways. We hope that is efficiency. For college life is really good experience to us. I think you are right. We need like to communite to other people. It is the best way. We should accept new environment.