24 Jan 2014

Frozen Yogurt: taste

Author: ayshleek@uoregon.edu | Filed under: Uncategorized

I open the pink door and walk up the two flights of stairs where fro yo mania ensues. Upwards of ten flavors to choose from, each neatly labeled on their chromed machines, levers turned up, their purposeful design awaiting a flick of a wrist. I swipe a pink cardboard cup splattered with white words that read “Yogurt Extreme”- A playful design for my hollowed canvas.

Cheescake, cake batter, salted caramel pretzel. I pull the lever and watch the cold creamy dessert slide into my bowl, one flavor after another. If it sounds good, I slosh it in. I skip the fruity pebbles today and side step down the toppings bar, scanning for peanut butter chocolate goodness. Oreo crumbles and cookie dough chunks make little dents and dashes in my pint-sized freezing yogurt mountain. I dust the crest with coconut flakes, and stick a pink plastic spoon in the top, like a conquistador claiming their land.

I spoon the first bite onto my expectant taste buds. Caramel-salted chill hits my palette and is met with a melting coconut flake. I swirl the flavors in my mouth and when I’m done savoring their debut I let them refrigerate my belly. I feel where the crest of the frozen mountain landed, a cold burn marking it’s place in my middle.

I lose sight of my concave utensil and come up with an Oreo piece, like a chocolatey rock on a snowy alpine. It crunches in my mouth, slightly soggy from its melting vanilla-y base. The gritty crumbs give way to a dark chocolate semi-sweet taste that bites through the soft vanilla aftertaste of the cake batter swirl.

The next bite is a topping-free frozen yogurt solo. The tangy cheesecake pungency is mellowed by the sweet cakey flavor, met with a warm caramel drift and a sprinkling of salt – a taste that activates the flavors all at once. I can only concentrate on one flavor at a time until they meld together into one sweet and salty bouquet of piquancy. I roll them around in my mouth: scoop after melting scoop. I bite into a salted doughy chocolate chunk, and relish it’s texture against its frigid velvety backdrop.

I scrape the bottom of my cardboard oasis and come up with a tidbit of coconut flake swimming alongside an Oreo crumb in a pool of sacchariferous liquid. I consume the last of it, the hodgepodge of  sweetness already becoming a thing of the past.

I remove the pink plastic spoon from my contented lips. The last of the melted yogurt beads up on the shiny pink utensil, like a snow cap melting in spring

I thank it for its purposeful existence and walk down the two flights of stairs and out the pink door, my candy-coated tongue resting contently inside it’s sugary cavernous home.

Tags: , , , , , , ,