Amin’s final reflection

amin final boards

amin rhino GH amin grasshopper deff.

1. My project addressed a major issue in today’s infrastructure for the digital world. Currently we live in a world where infrastructure and service is completely separate from city and human habitation zones. Those who live close to a water treatment plant, for example, are extremely unfortunate because they are in the lower class of society, poor, and live in terrible conditions. It is architects’ and city planners’ blindness that whenever there is talk about sustainable communities, green living, and happy cities, the focus is always on the middle to upper classes of the society. My project brings an infrastructure into the city right next to you and me.

Server farms, today, take up vast majority of land in rural areas. They use tremendous amount of energy and destroy a potential habitat for animals other than us. I challenged myself to bring a server farm into the city in a high-rise. My project strives to find new methods in adaptive and responsive structures. It is a building for machine (to store data) but serving humans.

A normal extinction rate in the globe is about 100 species in a century. Today we have lost over 2,300 species in the past century and that puts us in the midst of what scientists call a mass extinction time period. We have to change. And we have to change radically and we have to do it fast. My project tackles this problem and I think I have answered at least a very small portion of this problem.

1. For the competition, I have to work on the architecture part of these ideas more and refine the issues that was brought up in the review.
  2. I have grown greatly in terms of idea generation and design thinking. I did quite a bit of research and dug in sources and material completely unrelated to architecture and brought them into my project. I’m very happy about that.

Amin