The Glass Castle Continued

After reading the final chapters of Jeannette Walls’ memoir, “The Glass Castle,” I realized how much Jeannette Walls family’s values and lifestyle vary from my own family structure and beliefs.  I was surprised to discover that lack of responsibility of Jeannette Walls’ parents. Rex Walls is unable to sustain a job and is frequently unemployed due to poor work habits. Throughout the novel, Walls’ explains various incidences of her father’s frequent and random disappearances. During difficult events, Rex Walls would unexpectedly leave home for multiple days to drink.  It is interesting that Jeannette Walls’ would be forced to find her father during his disappearances. During these situations, the Walls should have called the cops or searched for the father together. A young child should not be forced to independently search for a missing family member. Rose Mary does not regard the risks or consequences of her actions or decisions. Jeannette Walls was too young to search for her drunken father alone due to high risk of danger. Walls could have been kidnapped or accidentally harmed by her drunken father or other individuals.

Additionally, I discovered that the Walls unstable lifestyle derives from the parents lack of proper income savings. Much of the income received from employment is spent on the consumption desires of the parents. Rather than save money for family needs for food and clothing funds, Rex Walls would use the income to purchase personal goods including cigars and beers. I was surprised that he asked his children for money from their personal savings to purchase alcohol. Similarly, Rose Mary would use the money to fund her art interests through purchasing  paint and and art supplies. The parents have the ability to provide their children a stable home, yet refuse to fund family needs. Jeannette’s mother had the opportunity to sell her ring to gain money required for food or clothing, but instead refrained from selling the ring to fulfill her personal desires. Jeannette’s mother obtained a two-carat ring and refused to sell it for money because she believed “it could improve [her] self esteem(Walls, 2005, p. 186).” Rose Mary does not obtain the ideal motherly parenting  skills or straits required to raise a family. Walls’ mothers   irresponsible and selfish actions prevent her from successfully supporting and fulfilling her children’s needs. As a mother, Rose Mary should put the financial and health needs of  family before her own desires. Furthermore, Rose Mary obtained an expensive family home in Texas, yet refused to sell the land. Selling the Texas land could provide the Walls a sufficient income and lifestyle. Moreover, much of the family income derived from Rose Mary’s Texas home. Occasionally, Jeannette’s mother “received a check from the oil company leasing the drilling rights on her land in Texas” and  the income from the checks provided “plenty of food for days at a time(Walls, 2005, p. 171).”

Similarly, I was astonished by the lack of available, healthy food for the children. Throughout the memoir, Jeannette Walls revealed her siblings frequent scavenges for food. Due to the parents’ insufficient budgeting skills, the Walls children attended school without prepared meals. Walls and her siblings were forced to forge for food in the trash and resort to stealing other student’s meals. At home, the children consumed rotten food or a single food product for multiple days. I could not believe the mother allowed their children to consume food infested with insects. I do not understand how the mother could keep food for herself and refuse to share it with her starving children. It is interesting that the children are scolded for complaints discussing their hunger and starvation.

The events that occurred throughout Jeannette Walls’ childhood increased my view of the concept of home. According to my concept of home and family, the parents should complete the needs of the family regardless of their personal desires. The parents should budget and save money to provide stable living conditions.  Additionally, children should not have to scavenge for food on the streets or in the trash or consumed outdated, rotten foods. During my childhood, my parents saved money to allow my brother and I to eat fresh, healthy food. Our parents packed our meals for school or provided us money to purchase snacks. My brother and I have never had to forge for food or steal meals. In comparison to the parenting and family values of the Walls’ family, my father provides the family income through employment in multiple jobs. My mother is a stay at home mom and performs family errands. The money gained was utilized to fund the educational needs and requirements of my brother and I. My parents create a budget to spend on required tutoring and additional educational supplies to help us achieve success during school. My mom and dad spend money to fund my dance training and my brother’s basketball lessons. My home creates feelings of safety and provides a stable, healthy lifestyle.

One thought on “The Glass Castle Continued

1. I really enjoy how your blog is set up and how easy it is to navigate. As far as your post, I definitely see how one could view the care of children to be the parents’ responsibility and they should plan accordingly. The Walls’ family was severely unorthodox and somewhat problematic. Rex and Rosemary definitely should have never made the choice to have children because their actions clearly show that they did not possess the maturity and self-discipline that one needs to have in order to raise another individual. Generally though, parents in today’s world do try their very best to provide for their families and sometimes those people fall short of even their own expectations of care they should be giving (food, shelter, clothes, etc…). I think it is important that intention and effort is always recognized and appreciated. Sometimes parents try their very best and still fall short in the same way we all do. I too was always given the things I needed growing up, but there was for sure times of struggle where my needs were forced to be more limited and that was okay because I was always aware that my parents cared for me and were putting effort into my future.