Acting On It

As the interest of climate change fills my brain I have been conducting more research not on the future affects, or causes of the change, but what people are doing today to help prevent it. My blog post will harp on different communities protesting, fighting, and rallying on the ideas of climate change.

The first article brought to my attention was placed in Juneau, Alaska. Their senator gave her annual speech to the community where she barely addressed climate change. From my perspective, Alaska, or any colder places, take the most damage from global warming and a topic so intriguing to an audience like that felt neglected of the issue. The senator than proceeding to say how later in the year she will be meeting with President Obama and hopes to not focus exclusively on the topic. This lit a fire under some people so they protested outside the capitol relaying a message of importance that climate change is something they need to be talking about. It’s important to shed good light on activists that show urgency in situations like this one.

In the UK, their three major parties agreed fighting climate change is now a main priority in their scheme to help their country. It was noted how unlikely it is for all three of their major parties to agree on one particular topic but that this is something worth agreeing on. This is something to be highly noted because we lake it in the US. Most republicans believe it’s an issue not worth touching because other nations won’t bother any assistance or go along with our efforts.

Even near us, on the Oregon coast, an article came out saying how coastal upwelling is increasing due to warmer weather. This is an issue because it will affect fisheries, nutrient rich water soils, and hatcheries. Although not seeming entirely important to your life, in the long run it will affect it. Our oceans and their soils are key to stable weathering. If the sea level starts to rise, more of our land and homes will become part of sea. When dealing with changes in climate change it’s important to first address the situation than come up with objectives for the situation just like these scientists have.

3 thoughts on “Acting On It

1. I found your blog post to be extremely interesting and very informing because I did not know about these different ways that people are contributing to help prevent climate change. I don’t think that many people realize how much of an effort other people are making to help fix the problem that we have created. It’s really motivating to learn about the different ways in which people are helping prevent climate change. It makes me want to take a stand and help contribute because I don’t want to be the person that sits around and does nothing while other people are working their butts off to fix the problems we have created.

2. Interesting research — especially in the diversity of geographic locations you are looking at/interested in. I’m curious — what do you find in your research is being done about coastal up-swelling? Is it an impact of climate change that has been able to bring people together (especially people living in coastal communities) to work towards solutions?

3. Excellent post touching on different areas of the world, and what they are doing in order to help slow the process of climate change. I think that it is very important that efforts are being conducted not only here in the United States, but in a variety of other countries. On the Global Divestment Day it made me hopeful that so many other individuals from a wide range of countries shared our same sentiment, and want to help save the planet. With more world leaders starting to accept the idea of climate change, I think political policy now can start to be established that further help the cause that so many already support.