Fostering Inclusion: Sam’s Internship with the Willamalane Park & Recreation District

Read about Sam’s LEI experience in this blog post.

Name: Sam Wiesner (she/her)
Major:  Global Studies and Planning, Public Policy, and Management
Minor: Arabic
Year: Sophomore
Internship: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Intern, Willamalane Park and Recreation District

What was your internship title and organization, and what were your responsibilities?

I served as the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Intern at Willamalane Parks and Recreation in Springfield. I worked online four days a week and in person one day. I had varying responsibilities throughout the internship, but I did a lot of researching best practices in DEI, coordinating events for the community, and designing DEI trainings. Every day I would check in with my boss, find out what the priorities were for the day, and then have independent work time.

What attracted you to the LEI program?

I was really excited about the opportunity to have an internship while also connecting with other people going through the same experience. This was my first internship, so I really appreciated discussing my experience with other interns. I also was attracted by the professional development opportunities. Through the LEI Cohort, I learned about LinkedIn and networking, leadership, and financial wellness (to name a few of the many workshops we did). This opportunity to learn from different professionals around campus was a very unique opportunity exclusive to the DEI program.

What was the project/campaign you led or contributed to that you are most proud of?

I designed DEI training for Willamalane’s summer camp staff. With the help of my supervisor, I created a slideshow presentation about implicit bias, allyship, and inclusion services within Willamalane. I also came up with multiple different interactive training activities, such as deciding what situations are urgent versus important and acting out potential scenarios. In the last week of my internship, I hosted a training run-through with the camp supervisors to get feedback and figure out training timing. Overall, the training was really successful and I got the chance to be creative in an independent project.

Sam and her supervisor, Kris Wright, at the LEI Capstone Celebration.
What did you like about working with your supervisor(s) and colleagues?

I absolutely adore my supervisors. Dr. Kris Wright is the DEI Supervisor at Willamalane and was my direct supervisor for my internship. She has become a great mentor to me, teaching me how to navigate an office workspace, how to build professional relationships, and how to have fun at work. She is thoughtful, encouraging, and brilliant. I could not have asked for a better supervisor. Ruth Huang is the supervisor of the LEI Cohort, leading our meetings each week, having one-on-one meetings with each of us, and coordinating all of our professional development. Ruth is the friendliest and most understanding person I have ever met. She is a compassionate leader and puts so much care into the LEI program and each of the cohort members. I also really enjoyed connecting with other Willamalane employees and learning about their jobs, as well as meeting each week with my cohort peers.

How has this internship set you up for success? What knowledge and skills did you learn that you can use in the future/other jobs?

This internship has taught me important leadership, communication, programming, and networking skills that I will carry with me to all my future positions. In addition, it gave me a strong idea of what type of workplace culture I should be looking for and showed me what working in an office setting is like. I connected with many career professionals who gave me ideas about what type of work I would like to do in the future and what potential paths are to get there. I even had the invaluable experience of reading over applications for an open DEI position within Willamalane, which gave me a good perspective of what hiring processes look like and how I can be a strong applicant.

What potential career paths has the internship opened your mind to? Has your internship influenced your future goals/direction and if so, how? 

Previously, I was set on working with large-scale government organizations doing international relations work. While I am still interested in that, this internship made me realize that local government organizations (such as parks and rec) have a huge impact on their communities and are a great option for where to work. I saw firsthand the direct impact that was being made on community members, and I enjoyed meeting and serving a diverse group of people. I had an informational interview with the Legislative Affairs person at Willamalane, which opened my eyes to the potential of doing policy work within a specific organization, rather than for the US government. In the future, I will expand my search when it comes time to find my career.

Sam’s internship site.
What advice would you give to students interested in the LEI program? What should they know before applying? 

Apply! You never know what learning experience you will have. Originally, I didn’t even apply for the DEI Intern position, but when Ruth recommended it to me I decided I should at least interview. It ended up being one of the most positive experiences of my college career thus far. Go into the program open-minded with the goal of learning as much as you can from as many different people as you can. Before you apply, look at your schedule and make sure you have the capacity for the time commitment. This internship has been a huge part of my schedule, but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Has participating in the LEI program impacted/impact your experience at UO? If so, how? 

The LEI program has been an extremely positive experience for me at UO. Not only do I now have internship experience to put on my resume, but I also have learned about so many different programs and resources at Oregon. I met students and staff that I would have never met otherwise, and have learned about different student organizations on campus, campus resources, and future opportunities to get involved with. I have no doubt that the connections I have made through this program will be extremely valuable to me in future academic and career pursuits.

What do you like to do outside of your classes and internship? What are you passionate
about?

In addition to my internship, I also work on campus as a Student Ambassador and a Resident Assistant. I am also involved with Jewish life on campus. I also love music and practice playing guitar in my free time. I am passionate about international development and human rights, and I am also passionate about my study of Arabic. I love to spend time with my friends exploring campus and going on off-campus excursions on the weekend.