Remix

I believe that copyright could be dangerous in the future. With Youtube as one of the most popular websites in the world, where a person can post a video of whatever they want. There are many channels that have millions of subscribers that post parody’s or remixes of other artists’s songs. I believe this to be really creative and not copyright at all. I also think that when you use someone else song over a video you created to not be copyright also. I feel as that would put many limitations on making a creative montage. When I agree copyright should come to play is if you want to use a producers beat for your own lyrics you made. You need to get permission from the producer or artist to do that and give them some royalties. Many artists do this all the time and put the songs on mixtapes for free for the public to have. I find remixed songs really creative and sometimes better than the original. Here’s an example: This is the original, and this is the remix. Here is an example of a creative parody. I really like this quote from the reading, it says, “But anyone who thinks remixes or mash ups are neither original or creative has very little idea about how they are made or what makes them great. It takes extraordinary knowledge about a culture to remix it well. The artist or student training to do it well learns far more about his past than one committed to this view about original creativity. And perhaps more important, the audience is constantly looking for more as the audience reads what the remixer has written”(93). The only role copyright plays is to protect people from other people using their creation to make money from it. The way they should address this issue is to not make it apply to people trying to make their own creative videos on youtube. If with fair judgement people are doing their fair share of original content, then they should be fine. Like I said earlier, if artists are remixing songs to distribute to people, then they should get permission. I believe copyrights should be limited and have different restrictions for websites like Youtube.

5 thoughts on “Remix

1. Hi. I agree with the fact that copyright is becoming very limiting in society these days. It is holding people back from putting song “voice overs” in their youtube videos, holding people back from creating remixes of songs or movies, holding people back from filming and posting original parodies that they make inspired from another movie or show, and all these things have creativity and originality behind them yet people are being punished for doing these things because of current strict copyright laws.
    I do agree with you when you said people should get permission for an artist’s beat for a song, even if they use their own lyrics, and of course they can’t steal other people lyrics either without permission. But a remix or parody or some type of original video montage should be allowed because in my opinion that is expressing creativity inspired from someone else, not stealing. Overall we have pretty similar opinions regarding the topic of remixes and copyright laws.

2. I enjoyed reading your post. You insight and opinion about copyrights was great. The only question I would bring up, is how do you feel about artists being paid for beats or lyrics that are from another song? I feel recently there a bunch of artists that take beats, parts of songs, or lyrics from other artists and pawn it off as theirs. They think it is original content, but in reality it is mostly someone else’s work. This causes a lot of miscommunication and arguments in the entertainment industry. Do you think that striker copyright laws and regulations would benefit the industry?