While I have been a big fan of music and movies, I never considered how copyright was a hindrance to the entire idea of art. As a species, we’ve come to express ourselves in myriad of ways, and as we progress, society pressures us to want to make money off of those things. So in order to make sure everyone gets those royalties, everything must be copyrighted. But as I read more about this, and the copyright infringement laws surrounding art, I become a little bit disheartened. I think of all the things that would not have evolved if copyright infringement had become a popular thing several decades prior. Film adaptations of books – and some films in general – may have been harder to accomplish; certain genres of music may not have evolved; certain books may not have been written. I think artists learn from those who came before them. They take direction and model themselves after those whose work they admire. Maybe the values of people has changed over time, but it  shows to me that nowadays we’re more concerned with our own art and existence, whereas in the past the art was personal, but the audience is what made it special. And the artists appeared to want to help those who were the next generation. Maybe that’s just my interpretation on how I’ve seen and read about the evolution of art.

What do you all think about copyrighting? And how do you think it will affect the future of art?