Assignment – 5: Representing Site

As Architecture students we all know how to “talk the talk” with each other and in an academic sense that is helpful for learning and building up new knowledge about the world of architecture.  However in our initial stages of design and understanding of program and site, creating a story is a very helpful way to gain further insight and perspective.  It also is a good way to connect with the client’s ideas and wants, in a more complete and easy way.  The most intriguing and creative part is that the story could be visualized in many different ways including ideas as simple as dialogue to something as complicated as a large scale model and in this sense can be interpreted in many different ways.  In my personal experience the best way to approach this is to keep the model simple yet diagrammatic in a way that presents all the information in a clear and concise way.  Keeping it in a format that can get many opinions and thoughts is the best and most compelling way to get an idea off the ground quickly and easier to have everyone on board.  For example for my site analysis of the South Waterfront I didn’t want to focus on just one aspect of the site like transportation or materiality.  Instead I focused on what the bigger picture of each area of the site represented and how it was portrayed.  I did this by walking through the site and recording what I saw and felt and then transferred them to a word cloud in a way that was appealing and easy to read.  I then placed physical items on top to represent them more clearly.  This approach was simple and clear enough to get a feel of how the site felt without visiting it.  Overall in our stage of understanding our site and program, keeping our stories simple and easy to understand but concise on information is a clear way to get open and honest feedback.