Unit 6 – Horror Disscussion

At the beginning of the video, I heard a women was introducing the main character. She gave us some background about the girl Buffy. I guess what the women said is non-diagetic sound. Because her voice is out of  this plot and she did not introduce herself, I thought it is non-diagetic. This part is very important to the following story. If no one know something about the main character, they will be confused  and do not know who is that girl.

After that, the main character came into the play. She was talking to a man with something.  Suddenly, a girl’s voice came to Buffy and his friend. This little girl was singing a beautiful song. Even though this song is beautiful, it is so scared that people were shocked. When the voice was more and more close to people, there is only a song with nothing. It made the aesthetic of horror be more real and scared. It gave the atmosphere to the plot. It is very normal to use in film. However, it is obvious that the girl’s voice is diagetic.

After opening the box, different people have different reaction. In the town, everything has been burned and people fought with each other. All the thing is a mess. With the intense and nervous song, the main character was running. The sound of footsteps and breathing. Demons’ voice made people get scared. This whole scene is mise-en-scene. We can see that sound and voice is so important to the video. The whole purpose is to made this video be more real.

4 Comments so far

1.   alexb@uoregon.edu on February 14th, 2014          Reply

Jack,
    I very much enjoyed your analysis of the video and the sceneries and situations in which you chose to describe in detail. The woman in the introduction is a great observation of non-diagetic. She lays the ground just in case any viewer was starting the season on this episode. It essentially brought everyone up to speed. The girl’s singing was the same example I gave for diagetic. It really drew me in and made me curious about who was singing in the distance. The scene was straight out of The Shining. That movie really frightened me as a kid, so when I saw the little girl holding the box, it brought back some of those scary memories. For the mise-en-scene example you gave, I am not entirely sure which part of the movie this was. Are you talking about a particular moment or multiple scenes throughout the show? I did like when the producer created a dark and distraught background. It made it feel very real and all the characters were turning on each other out of frustration of losing their voices.

•   Alisha Rowlee on February 16th, 2014          Reply

The girls singing was also one of my examples. I never really liked buffy show as a kid. though i really do believe the show as a whole is a great example of a non-diagetic sound. It was hard for me to grasp the concept of these vocab words.

2.   kristenk on February 16th, 2014          Reply

Your review of the show Buffy and the different scenes you presented was elaborated greatly on. I thought your explanation of the mise-en-scene was interesting especially because of your quote “The whole purpose is to make this video be more real.” I agree completely and I think that is a great way to show the essence of a mise-en-scene scene. I think the purpose of a mise-en-scene is to try and make the unknown background effects recognized but anonymous and unidentified. Because of this I think that movies and performances are so much more captivating and desirable. It makes the reality and existence even more of a bearing fantasy.

3.   Alisha Rowlee on February 16th, 2014          Reply

your review is a very insightful. i now can better understand what the process of your mindset is, with figuring out th question we were asked to answer. I do agree with the “purpose” for the mise-en-scene. when i am watching a scary movie now i can fully understand what all the background is in the back and recognize.