Adornment Essay

In regards to adornment, I am a simple man. I have never been one to spend any considerable amount of time thinking about what I will wear. I tend to weigh my desire to be comfortable with society’s standards in any given social situation, and dress accordingly. If I’m going to class, that means sweat pants and a pull over if it’s chilly, or athletic shorts and a t-shirt if it’s warm. In a more “professional” environment, I will wear pants and a tucked polo. In an even more “professional” environment, I’ll bust out my suit. I want to be as physically comfortable as possible, but also emotionally comfortable as well (meaning I don’t want to feel self-conscious about being underdressed in certain situations just because I feel more physically comfortable in jeans rather than slacks).

I believe that there is a certain social standard that should be met, and I have no problem meeting that standard when necessary. I want to show respect to those around me, so if a situation calls for a suit, I will respect those sharing in the circumstance by coming appropriately dressed. That goes for casual situations as well. If I’m spending time with friends in a laid-back atmosphere, it would be inappropriate of me to show up in a three-piece.

I am also simple in that I don’t want to make a statement with my attire or adornment. I realize that is impossible to prevent someone from making assumptions based on my appearance before getting a chance to talk to me, but I don’t want to provide any more “ammunition” than necessary. I want my thoughts, words, and nature to make the most prevalent impression that I will leave with someone. I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention to myself. I don’t enjoy that kind of voyeuristic attention from on-lookers.

In terms of adornments, I have a simple philosophy. If I wouldn’t want to keep it forever, I shouldn’t do it. I am a very fickle person. I have the worst buyers-remorse (cognitive dissonance). When I buy something over $20, I seriously consider taking it back, every single time. I know that for me, a tattoo would not be good. It would be slightly masochistic of me, and not just due to the pain but also the future emotional turmoil, to get a tattoo. Knowing that it is for the most part permanent, I would immediately regret it right after (if not during) the tattooing process.

Modesty has always been a core value in my family. Let your actions do the talking, not your appearance. It’s always better to maintain a level of mystery. All things that were taught to me and my sisters by my parents. We believe that bringing attention to your self can be great, but not if for the wrong reasons. I want people to notice me because I am talented, kind, caring, compassionate, smart, etc. I don’t want people to notice me because I am covered in tattoos (that I would probably eventually hate) or have a bunch of piercings. That being said, I do my best to not pass judgment on those who choose to embellish their bodies with those things. I wouldn’t want people to make unfair judgments about me based on my appearance, as that is not even close to the whole story of ‘Tyler’.

My eldest younger sister doesn’t hold fast to our family ‘doctrine’, but even her rebellion in terms of body adornment (tattoos and piercings) are relatively tame by most standards. She has some doves tattooed on her back, which in my opinion is the most cliché thing a girl can get tattooed on her shoulder blade. It doesn’t even mean anything for her, she just thought it looked “cute” (which is odd because she can’t even see it). She also has a tiny cat tattooed behind her right ear, which is dumb (in my opinion) because she hates cats and has never even owned one. Her and I don’t see eye to eye on tattoos.

Within my peer group, who I would identify as business majors, or soon to be employees in the business sector, the prevailing sentiment in terms of attire and adornment is ‘dress to impress’. I said before that I understand the need to ‘dress-up’ in certain scenarios, and I feel very comfortable dressing for the occasion. The business world is very much immersed in tradition and the status quo. Tattoos and unorthodox piercings are taboo. Suits and dress skirts are safe and expected (at least at the company I will be working for after graduation).

Posted: May 2, 2014
Categories: Unit 05
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.

© 2024 AAD 250 Spring 2014.  Provided by WPMU DEV -The WordPress Experts. Hosted by University of Oregon Sites.