This is not the post you’re looking for

OK, here’s the thing: I’m WAY behind deadline on TWO (!) posts. I’m working on write-ups to go along with our two most recent events: War Games and Sports Culture (from 10/19), and Manufacturing Horror (which was on 10/25). I led the discussion for the former, so that’s pretty straightforward; and Anthony Hayt, who presented the latter, was kind enough to send along the text of his talk, which makes my job considerably easier.

So now I have to tell you why I’ll remain behind on my deadline. I’m currently in Portland for the NWACC roundtable, and yes folks I managed to leave the necessary critical texts at the office. Virilio’s War and Cinema, Bakhtin’s Rabelais and His World, and a handful of others are sitting quietly, waiting to be mined for quotations and citations to describe and build on the discussions we had so recently. . . and they’re going to wait a little longer.

I'd like to write a blog post, but I have an after-show party to attend.

BUT still here we are, and there are still interesting things happening! ETC Press just released the first issue of its new journal, Well Played. Obligatory (and awesome) text from website here: “The Well Played Journal is a forum for in-depth close readings of video games that parse out the various meanings to be found in the experience of playing a game.” The essays in this inaugural issue look great, and the whole thing is freely available online. Just click the download button to crack open a giant PDF!

While we’re talking about ETC Press, take a moment to look at the other awesome (free) things they’ve published. The bottom line is that anyone interested in Game Studies should pay close attention to the publications coming from ETC.

Finally, we’ll see you at our NEXT EVENT: Development Basics for Non-Developers, Wednesday Nov. 9th, 6p-8p, Knight Library rm. 41. Our own Jon Paull is leading the discussion, you and I are playing the games, it’s going to be stupendous. I’m not yet sure what we’ll be playing, but if it’s a Soul Calibur game and I’m playing Voldo, don’t even bother picking up the controller.

My, what an interesting hat!

More to come!