Eleanor Wakefield Candidate Statement 2020

I have been a career instructor in Composition and English since 2018; previously, I taught here as a pro tem and as a GE beginning in 2009. In my decade here at Oregon, I’ve been active in both the faculty and graduate employee unions–I’m currently the secretary and chair of the communications committee for United Academics–and have served on departmental and university committees including on the Provost search committee. I also devote myself to improving my own and composition program pedagogy; I am interested in balancing faculty freedom with best practices and clear, simple instructions for accessible, effective instruction. In addition to advocating for good working conditions for faculty and good learning conditions for our students, I care deeply about shared governance and transparency in university decision making. I am also a new parent, so my experience taking leave and returning to the (virtual) classroom has recently given me new insight on many issues related to teaching, service, and evaluation. I am running for these roles with the senate to further contribute my time, experience, and perspective to the faculty and the campus.