President Schill appoints Andy Karduna (Human Phys) to chair new IAAC

Hi Andy, 

I’m as surprised as you are to see you appointed IAAC Chair. Congrats.

As Senate President, I’d suggest that a good first step for the IAAC would be to restart the investigation of the allegations about the advising services provided by SSA that came up while Rob Illig was IAC Chair. 

Bill Harbaugh, Senate President, Economics Professor, University of Oregon

On ThursdayFeb 16, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Andrew Karduna <karduna@uoregon.edu> wrote:

This was not on my radar, but at the request of President Schill, I agreed to take on this position.  He can be very persuasive.

I am hopeful that we will be able to meet once this quarter and two or three times in the spring. 

I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me with possible agenda items – what do you want to discuss with respect to the academic performance and welfare of student-athletes?

I look forward to working with all of you.

– Andy

Andrew Karduna, Ph.D., Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

Department of Human Physiology, University of Oregon

On 2/16/2017 3:38 PM, President Michael Schill wrote:

Dear IAAC members,

Thank you for your willingness to serve on the inaugural Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Committee (IAAC). I am pleased to announce that Andy Karduna has agreed to serve as the inaugural chairperson for this committee and I want to thank him in advance for his leadership. 

The University Senate approved the following committee charge on November 30, 2016:

The Committee is charged with advising the President on all policies and practices related to the academic performance and welfare of student-athletes. The Committee may at the President’s direction, engage broader issues regarding the relation of the athletics program to the overall mission of the university and NCAA or PAC12 policies. Additionally, the IAAC is charged with bringing issues related to the academics of student-athletes to the Senate with recommendation for action as needed.

The committee membership is made up of faculty, staff, students, and relevant administrators, which I list below as a way of initial introductions. I look forward to meeting you all at our first meeting and to working together in the future. My office will be in touch to schedule our first meeting during Winter Quarter.

Sincerely, Michael H. Schill President and Professor of Law

IAAC Membership

Faculty

·         Pedro Garcia-Caro, Romance Languages

·         Tim Gleason (Faculty Athletic Representative), Journalism and Communication

·         Andy Karduna (Chair), Human Physiology 

·         Laura Leete, Planning, Public Policy and Management

·         Kelli Matthews, Journalism and Communication

·         Elizabeth Skowron, Counseling Psychology

·         Glen Waddell, Economics

Classified Staff

·         Johnny Earl, Campus Operations

Students

·         Jeff Lockie, graduate student and Presidential appointment

·         Morgan Krakow, Undergraduate and ASUO appointment

·         Juwaan Williams, Undergraduate and Student Athletic Advisory Committee appointment

Ex Officio

·         Lisa Freinkel, Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Studies

·         Rob Mullens, Intercollegiate Athletic Director

·         Lisa Peterson, Deputy Athletic Director / Senior Women’s Administrator

·         Steve Stolp, Executive Director of Services for Student Athletes

·         Roger Thompson, Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management