Art and Technology

Jones’ primary thesis in “Computer Graphics: Effects of Origins” is that, “new forms of art and technology are frequently cast in the mode of old forms, just as other aspects of material and symbolic culture have been” (Jones 21). She also says, “it is a premise of this paper that old cultural patterns do not die. They may fade or become more evident; that is they may be deemphasized or emphasize” (Jones 21). To briefly summarize, Jones’ primary thesis is that while computer graphics have and continue to improve from a technological standpoint, the older technologies continue to influence modern thoughts and feelings about art.

Jones provides three examples in her article to support her ideas. One of these examples that stood out to me is the work of Ben Lapofsky and Herbert W. Franke. They were the first people to develop graphic images. Jones said, “In the 1940’s analogue computers were used to generate the earliest computer graphics and display them on oscilloscopes. Ben F. Lapofsky and Herbert W. Franke were among the pioneers creating these images.  Franke’s graphics were phase forms, presented as events rather than as static imagery” (Jones 22). In laymen’s terms that sounds a lot like digital art, which is exponentially more common today.

An example that illustrates Jone’s’ thesis is the computer program Photoshop. I like to dabble in photography in my free time and as I have continued to improve my photography skills I have spent quite a bit of time working in Photoshop. I think that more and more photographers rely on Photoshop or similar programs when they are creating art. Many of the effects photographers achieve through Photoshop are not achievable otherwise. Yet, while artists have this new tool the styles and concepts active in the art they create are largely a result of past artistic movements. The new artistic tool is enabling artists and photographers to extend their art and emphasize certain aspects of what they capture with their cameras, rather than completely move away from historical artistic tendencies and movements. In some ways the exaggeration of reality the Photoshop creates has changed the way people think and view many things including human form, style and other things.

Jones, B. J. (1990). Computer Graphics: Effects of Origins. LEONARDO: Digital Image – Digital Cinema Supplemental Issue, pp. 21-30.

Campbell, S. (2010, April 02). 10 Ways How Photoshop Changed The History Of Photography. Retrieved from http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-ways-how-photoshop-has-changed-the-history-of-photography/

One thought on “Art and Technology”

1. I really liked your example of Photoshop as an illustration of Jones’ thesis. I think Photoshop allows artists to create really beautiful works of art that are completely unique. I especially love when Photoshop is used to create the effect of a painting made from a photograph, or vice versa. I had one question about you comment that, “While artists have this new tool the styles and concepts active in the art they create are largely a result of past artistic movements.” I was wondering what specific styles of art created in Photoshop are a result of past movements?