Horror

Diegetic sound (18:10)

One of my favorite examples of diegetic sound, sound that is implied to be within the same reality as the film, is the scene where there is a collection of students in what looks like a mess hall. Amongst the silence, one of the young men in the room drops a mug that shatters when it hits the ground. The shattering sound contributes to the aesthetic of the horror film by emphasizing the silence in the room after everyone recently lost the ability to speak. It is an example of diegetic sound because the mug shattering and the sound it made took place inside the reality of the store.

Non-diegetic sound (18:30)

Non-diegetic sound is that which is outside the reality of the story being told. An example of non-diegetic sound that particularly stood out to me was the mood music played as Buffy and her friend walk down the street watching the panic and unrest take the town. The music being played brings out emotions like mourning, sadness and hopelessness. The music contributes to the aesthetic of the horror film by drawing out the emotion of the scene and helping the audience feel what the characters are feeling. It is considered non-diegetic because it is separate from the reality of the story, which means the characters in the story cannot hear the music.

Mise-en-scene (20:00)

Mise-en-scene is the components that a scene captures, such as production designs, color, lighting, characters, position and framing, and diegetic sound. One example is when Buffy and her friends are watching the news on TV. The news is covering what is happening in the town. The mise-en-scene in the scene includes buffy and her friends, the room, the furniture, the sound of the TV, a dim light and a dark background. This contributes to the aesthetic of the horror film by creating the scene through details. It creates a sense of realism, which makes the film more believable and therefore scary.

3 thoughts on “Horror”

1. I like that you used the time markers to show where your clip was at. I didn’t have that since I was watching the embedded video.

For the diegetic sound your imagery was really good and I do agree that the silence emphasizes the shattering and therefore causes the focus to be on the breaking.

Mise-en-scene was a very confusing concept for me but I think the way you described it makes it a lot clearer. The realism and the ability to imagine what it would be like in that instant does make it more relate-able, and to some extent, scarier.

2. Hi Sam, your post is really well-structured. I read a lot of details in the video from your post. I also thought non-diegetic sounds could make the listeners have the same feeling with the figures in movies or radios. I thought the non-diegetic could be the catalyst in the movies or videos. It is easy for people to experience the actors’ feelings and experience when they hear some non-diegetic sounds.

In this week’s lecture material, professor said that “We know of that certain sounds are represented as coming from the story world, while others are represented as coming from outside the space of the story events.” From my understanding, non-diegetic is the sounds coming from outside of the space of the story and makes people to go into the space of the story easier.

May I know do you think the mise-en-scene has more contribution to the movie other than creates a sense of realism?

3. Hi Sam,
    I really appreciated all of your descriptions. I also though that the scene with the mug breaking was a wonderful example of Diegetic sound. I found that scene to be such a great example of the great silence that had overtaken the town. A sound that would normally draw some attention in a crowded room was the center of attention in this crowded room because there were no other sounds. Your example of mise-en-scene was really great. While I was watching this episode, I did not pay as close attention to those details. I described mise-en-scene during the scene in which Buffy and her friends walked through the town because the lighting was dark and the way everyone looked brought out a depressing feeling to the show. I really enjoyed reading your descriptions as it helped me to get a better grasp of the horror elements it contained.