Personal Adornment Essay

I have an extremely limited level of personal adornment. In fact, I have always viewed my personal adornment as a sort of lack of any adornment at all. I have an extremely modest sense of style. I prefer clothing with a limited amount of logos and designs (plain preferably), I like quiet colors and I like to be comfortable. I like clothes that have a casual fit, not too baggy or tight. I have never been flashy nor have I sought out an attention-grabbing appearance. I keep my hair very short and simply and I cut it regularly. I do not have any tattoos or piercings. I do not wear any jewelry, watches, or glasses (including sun glasses). I prefer a very safe and conservative appearance, one that does not stand out or draw unwanted attention.

I believe my modest personal adornment is a result of my upbringing and the values I have adopted from my family. I am not religious so I do not have any adornment practices that are encouraged or discouraged as a result of any religious beliefs. I come from a white middle class family and I grew up in a safe and clean suburban area. My family always encouraged a clean and neat appearance, and my own appearance, even now that I live away from home, reflects that influence. My family also encouraged academic and financial success. C.R. Sanders wrote concerning attractive people, “their chances of economic success are greater, and they are consistently defined by others as being of high moral character” (Sanders, 1989). When I read that line in Sanders’ book I thought that it applied to me. Growing up I was encouraged to dress in such a way that I would be accepted rather than held back because of my appearance. For example, at one point I considered getting my ears pierced and my father told me not to because it was unprofessional and it would inhibit my career. Accordingly, I made the decision not to get my ears pierced.

My personal adornment is also indicative of my personality. I am a modest, slightly shy and socially aware individual. My appearance matches my personality. My appearance and the choices I make support my values and are indicative of my personality. The decisions I make are usually relatively safe and low-risk. I am aware the affect my appearance has on peoples’ perception of me and I dress in such a way that they perceive as I wish to be seen. Clean, conservative, normal and successful.

Obviously a lot goes into the word “normal”. My definition of normal is a result of my peer community, which white, American, Christian, middleclass community. Again, I am not religious, but most of the people I associate with are so many of their values and perceptions of normal are extended to me. For example, while I do not think there is anything morally wrong with the use of recreational drugs, I have always refrained from participating in such activities because of what is considered normal in my peer community. My peers believe it is immoral either for religious or legal reasons and because of they are an integral part of my community I am aware of their values and beliefs. I am aware of what they consider to be normal and I tend to act and dress accordingly.

My level of adornment has changed over the years. When I was younger I was much more bold and loud with my sense of style than I am now. At one point I had bleacher blond hair that I spiked with hair jell. I preferred relatively flashier clothes than I do now. I think as I have grown I have become more socially aware in such a way that I dress more conservatively to avoid any negative responses. Sanders said that, “Those who choose to modify their bodies in ways that violate appearance norms—or reject culturally prescribed alterations—risk being defined as socially or morally inferior” (Sanders, 1989). While I have never consciously been worried about being perceived as morally inferior, I am afraid to be considered socially inferior or to be socially rejected. So in a sense, my modest appearance is a result of a desire to fit in and to have a sense of security. I seek a sense of security in almost all aspects of my life. Even my choice of career, accounting, is considered one of the top fields for job security.

Sanders, C. R. (1989). Introduction: Body Alteration, Artistic Production, and the Social World of Tattooing. In Customizing the Body (Chap. 1). Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.