Gnostic Gospel of Thomas

Published on: Author: msherwoo 2 Comments

Theology and Christology of the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas

Rather than write in general terms on this extremely broad topic I am focusing on Thomas 13 since it seems to be a particularly clear example where the account in the synoptic gospels has been reframed to lend credence to the Gnostic outlook on the process of salvation and the authority of Thomas over the other evangelists.

The passage in Thomas is: (translation of Stephen Patterson and Marvin Meyer) 13. Jesus said to his disciples, “Compare me to something and tell me what I am like.” Simon Peter said to him, “You are like a just messenger.” Matthew said to him, “You are like a wise philosopher.” Thomas said to him, “Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like.” Jesus said, “I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended.” And he took him, and withdrew, and spoke three sayings to him. When Thomas came back to his friends they asked him, “What did Jesus say to you?” Thomas said to them, “If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you.”

The synoptic Gospels all feature a comparable scene in which Jesus asks the disciples who the public consider him to be, and then asks the disciples for their personal view. Only Peter answers, to the effect that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God. The confession of Peter and Jesus’ response is a crucial part of orthodox theology, establishing the Petrine Christianity as the “brand” sanctioned by Jesus himself, and the papacy as the guardian of that brand.

28They told Him, saying, “John the Baptist; and others say Elijah; but others, one of the prophets.” 29And He continued by questioning them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered and said to Him, “You are the Christ.” 30And He warned them to tell no one about Him. (Mark)

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. (Mathew 16:18)

Both accounts end with the revealed information being kept secret, until after Christ had risen in the case of the synoptics, seeming indefinitely, at least to the general body of believers, in the case of Thomas.

Since the Gnostics viewed the spirit of human beings as the only part that participated in the Kingdom of Heaven, and had a docetic view of Jesus himself, the passion narrative and the atoning power of Jesus’ death play no part in this Gospel, whereas they are central to the synoptics and to the Petrine/orthodox form of Christianity. The works of the flesh, and adherence to Old Testament law, are essentially irrelevant (cfr. 14: if you fast you will bring sin upon yourselves) – this is a less extreme view than the Marcionate one and represents a middle ground close to the orthodox one with respect to dietary laws, circumcision, etc.

2 Responses to Gnostic Gospel of Thomas Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. The synoptic Gospels all feature a comparable scene in which Jesus asks the disciples who the public consider him to be, and then asks the disciples for their personal view. Only Peter answers, to the effect that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God. This is a less extreme view than the Marcionate one and represents a middle ground close to the orthodox one with respect to dietary laws, circumcision, etc.

2. I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. The passion narrative and the atoning power of Jesus’ death play no part in this Gospel.