Luke’s discussion question 2

Published on: Author: younghun@uoregon.edu Leave a comment

By Luke’s depict, Jesus was identified that he was innocent. As Pilate mentioned to chief priests and the crowds,” I find no basis for an accusation against this man.”(23:4), and called chief priests, the leaders, and the people and said, ” You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people; and here i have examined him in your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither has herod, for he sent him back to us. Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death.”(23:13-15) Pilate in Luke’s depict, tried to prove innocence about Jesus, which didn’t mentioned in Mark. And also Luke portrays Pilate asked three times, ” A third time he said to them, “Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him flogged and then release him.” (23:22) so, Pilate knew that Jesus has no sin to crucify him. But he was afraid of priests and leaders.
Luke also depicts two criminals crucified on his right and left. In their conversations, one of them also proved about innocence of Jesus.” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.” (23:40,41)

In last centurion confessed again, “when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God and said, “certainly this man was innocent.” (23:47)

From these clues, Luke pointed out how Jesus was innocent in these period. He didn’t have to (Of course, for complete the Gospel) sacrifice himself, because he was innocent.