Who Speaks Wukchumni?: Narrative Editing Tools in Motion

I saw this Op-Doc during the Summer and thought that it was worthy of sharing with the class. This narrative is just a small look into a larger picture of the diminishing Native American languages. Wukchumni, a Yokuts tribe, are native to Central California. Before European contact they were flourishing, but now there are an estimated 200 Wukchumni left. This story is about a native and fluent speaker trying to preserve her language by creating a Wukchumni dictionary. I really enjoyed this piece because of how ordinary this woman is. She seems very sweet and is genuinely doing this so her native language can be passed on to the remaining tribe. A labor of love.

I’m not sure what type of stylistic tool it is, but I figure it has to do with sequencing: I am interested in the ways the editor was able to make tie-ins from shot to shot. The one I am thinking of in particular is at 4:03. There is a tight-shot of the dripping water faucet, and then a mid, panning shot that starts at the water faucet again, but then rack focuses to the woman pouring a cup of coffee. That shot cuts away to behind her back pouring some of the coffee into the sink. The next shot, at 4:25, the coffee cup is at the front of the table. It goes faucet to coffee mug, coffee mug to faucet, coffee mug on table. There is another example of this editing trick at 5:55 when her great grandson brings her a glass of water. That shot is also the first shot we see of her grandson. As the scene moves on, it cuts into the kitchen where they are handling dishes together and cooking food. It seems like a constant circular motion: glass from kitchen into living room, living room back into the kitchen with dishes. So here, I see the actual objects moving the narrative along. If anyone knows what this editing sequence is called let me know. It seems like a cool tool we could pick up on and use in our shooting and editing.

15 Comments

on “Who Speaks Wukchumni?: Narrative Editing Tools in Motion
15 Comments on “Who Speaks Wukchumni?: Narrative Editing Tools in Motion
  1. You make some very good observations above. What I really love about this piece is the way in which the objects move the piece along. I’m not exactly sure of the official name for this editing style, but it’s effectiveness cannot go unnoticed. The use of detail, like when her hands are pecking at the keyboard, are the shots that help drive this narrative along.

2. I really love this piece, thank you for sharing it. More than just the editing style, consider the controlled, cinematic way the camera moves throughout. The camera dollies in (positive action) to join Marie working on her computer near the beginning. Later we repeat the same shot on a dolly out (negative action) to indicate the end of the film is near. Also consider the melancholy musical score.

As for the specific sequence you mention with the coffee mug, at the least I would call it a matched action sequence shot using tight detail shots (an example that great video is 50% details). The editor has cut these in a way to preserve continuity between shots, avoiding jumps. Of course it was shot extremely well, in a way that would allow for these matched cuts to edit together.

The coffee cup is significant, it highlights the hard work Marie has put in to this effort. The water (dripping at 4:03, in a glass at 5:55, even in a lake at 5:46) have a number of metaphoric meanings (water of life, etc.). There was certainly a consciousness about objects by the filmmaker as they were shooting – this story is about preserving the vocabulary of everyday things. I would almost go so far as to call the coffee & water in this piece a MacGuffin (not really, but certainly a strong reoccurring motif).

3. When I read an article on this topic, baccaratcommunity the first thought was profound and difficult, and I wondered if others could understand.. My site has a discussion board for articles and photos similar to this topic. Could you please visit me when you have time to discuss this topic?

4. Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job.
    I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site

토토 도메인
    토토 먹튀
    토토 사이트 도메인
    토토 사이트 순위
    토토 유저
    https://www.j9korea.com

5. A PCB assembly company specializes in the manufacturing and assembly of printed circuit boards (PCBs). These companies typically offer a range of services, including PCB design, fabrication, and assembly. The process of PCB assembly involves the use of specialized equipment and techniques to assemble electronic components onto a printed circuit board, creating a functional electronic device or system.

6. Rely on BSNS Consulting for reliable and efficient Accounting Services in Pakistan. Our team of skilled accountants ensures accurate financial record-keeping, bookkeeping, and financial reporting. With our attention to detail and financial insights, we help you make informed decisions that lead to improved financial performance and long-term success.

7. BSNS Consulting offers comprehensive Digital Marketing Services in Pakistan, tailored to your business needs. From SEO and content marketing to social media management and paid advertising, our team crafts data-driven strategies to amplify your online presence. Experience measurable growth and a strong return on investment with our dynamic digital marketing solutions.