Creative Culture Discussion

I personally believe that the RW culture of creativity enables creative expression to continue indefinitely. The RO culture is stricter and gives artists the ability to have “their expression framed just as they intend it,” (Lessig, 56). I think that this could inhibit artistic expression because people are not free to form their own opinions, and are only able to take the information provided to them at face value. The ability of people to think creatively about another person’s ideas allows for in-depth discussion and innovation. The “RW culture extends itself differently…It is offered as a draft. It invites a response,” (Lessig, 56). I think that this form of artistic expression allows people to expand upon each other’s ideas and creations in pursuit of novelties. This type of artistic creativity is what drives our culture and our world into future success. Without the ability to expand upon each other’s innovations, we would not have all of the technology we have today.

4 thoughts on “Creative Culture Discussion

1. Hello there! Nice opinions about the reading! According to the reading, “RO culture speaks of professionalism. Its tokens of culture demand a certain respect. They offer themselves as authority. They teach, but not by inviting questions” (Lessig, 85). Under this condition, people could not express their opinions well. They are limited by the power of authority. However, the RW culture gives their the opportunity to think and create. By asking audience questions, people could gather the opinions of audience so that they could refine their art work with more one opinions. In order to keep people’s creativity, RW culture is the best choice to do so. People need to combine their own opinions into one thing instead of accept all from the authority.

2. Hi there,

I think you introduced some great points. I especially liked when you said, “people are not free to form their own opinions”, speaking of RO cultures. I feel the exact same way. I think this type of society places limits on itself that inhibit growth and expression. In my post I talked about how I thought the education system was at least partly responsible for this because of the way we are taught. I feel that we are taught to simply remember and regurgitate, rather than create new things and explore.

-Sam

3. I really enjoyed how thought provoking this week was. When you said, “Without the ability to expand upon each other’s innovations, we would not have all of the technology we have today.”
    I could not agree more. We take other’s ideas and inspiration and we recreate it and build upon it until something new is sparked within us. If it was stagnate, we would have the medical advances, or evolution of music, etc.
    I thought it was really neat too that you referenced technology which ties into last week’s lesson.
    Nice post!

4. Hi
    Nice thinking for the RW and RO. You said that RW is base way for creativity rather than RO. You also mentioned that the development of technology because of RW. By the describe of RW and RO in course material, it is true that RO give the artist expression frame as they intend it. Otherwise, the RW give your response and recreate.
    In my opinion, I also encourage that people should keep RW in life. And both RO and RW are important. RW is rare in current life but it is necessary way for human being to development in history. Even if the technology could help us to leave RW, the RW is important for people to create technology. As same as people created robot to work something but people still need to keep work always. The balance between old form and new form like RO and RW is a science which we should study.