Women as Confident Leaders

I find it hard to argue with the frequently referenced facts about women hitting a glass ceiling at the workplace, or being paid significantly less than their male counterparts. However, I have always thought that there are ways women could overcome these obstacles without always blaming others. I read a blog post written by a woman named Michelle Kerrigan. I found her post very refreshing because it not only acknowledges that women do have some unfair disadvantages in the workplace, but it discusses some ways in which women could overcome these obstacles. Taken out of context, the three changes that Ms. Kerrigan lists could seem harsh to some because it is hard to place blame on the victim in a situation. However, women (as well as men, but this post is about women) always need to look at themselves to see if there are any personal changes to be made that could improve their working, as well as living situations. These changes could help to propel women from feeling like the victim, to feeling like the confident, successful women that they are. The three changes Ms. Kerrigan suggests are:

1) Think of yourself as an equal
2) Be a better team player
3) Stop trying to change others

These three suggestions strike me as simple, perhaps obvious, but also very helpful. It takes a lot of courage for someone to acknowledge that they have personal changes to make. I appreciate  that Ms. Kerrigan supports her three suggestions with information as to why these would be helpful. For instance, she says that we need to think of ourselves as equals in order to stop judging others and looking for differences between each other. Taking this tip with me not only into working environments, but into every aspect of my life, would help me feel confident about myself and my colleagues/friends. Ms. Kerrigan states that being a team player involves being reliable, supportive, positive, adaptable, and accessible. These qualities define a leader and someone who would be a pleasure to work with! Finally, she acknowledges that trying to change others behaviors is unproductive, and instead, we should be supporting each other and offering constructive advice.

I am so happy that I came across Ms. Kerrigan’s blog and look forward to reading more of her posts in the future!

Check out the blog “Workplace Confidence,” written by Michelle Kerrigan, at:
http://www.workplaceconfidence.com/category/women-with-confidence/

One thought on “Women as Confident Leaders