Turning Point

A women’s lacrosse stick

By: Lilly Newman

Every weekday morning, at Pape Field you will see Mariah Gatti, junior at University of Oregon, and the rest of the division one women’s lacrosse team suiting up to begin their practice. Mariah started playing lacrosse in eighth grade. Once she got into high school, she decided to pursue lacrosse full time. This decision paid off for her immensely when she was recruited her junior year to play for University of Oregon women’s division one lacrosse team on scholarship. She knew the stigma that came along with women’s sports, aware how lucky she was to be playing but also mindful of the fact that it would not be the same as a male athlete. As a female athlete, she recognized she wouldn’t get the fans that men’s sports did but chose not to let this be a factor in her collegiate career.  Mariah says, “my love for the game pushes me past any stereotype that could affect me playing.” However, Mariah’s faced unwanted challenges which surfaced her freshman year.

On March 15th, 2015, Mariah’s whole world changed. Mariah lost her mother, Kathleen Gatti. Kathleen had surgery and went home too soon, without a 24/7 nurse present she was at substantial risk. A blood clot and no one there to help resulted in her devastating passing. Mariah had lost her entire support system and best friend. “There are not enough words to describe how shattered I was. She was my everything and I didn’t know how to go about life without her.” This is something Mariah never thought she would have to deal with at such a young age, only 18 years old. Maddie Duncan, Mariah’s childhood best friend, shared, “Mariah was constantly a positive, happy light but the loss of her mother took that light away. Lacrosse was the only thing that brought her back.” Mariah, now a starting player on the team, says, “there are some days where I don’t want to get out of bed, but my teammates are my motivation and push me to be everything I can be, they are my family.” Lacrosse was her outlet, and now Mariah is one of the top attackers on her team and in her league. Gatti says, “Everything I do is for her.” She started to pray and says she talks to her mom every day, which allows her to still have that connection but also accept the death and move forward. She knows her mom is with her. The loss of her mother turned her focus to lacrosse and making her mom proud, present or not. Mariah has every intention in carrying on this motivation for the rest of her collegiate career and not letting her mom down.