Hello Class!

Hi everyone! My name is Donovan, and I’m a second year here at the University of Oregon. I’m a business major with a concentration in marketing and I’m minoring in Japanese. I plan to use this degree to have a career in international business because I want to work for a company that has East Asian relations.

I’m taking this class because I have an interest in linguistics in general, and this class is about the linguistics of a language that I am currently studying, so I think it should be beneficial for my learning. I started studying Japanese on my own about 2 years ago and took a placement test before I came to college that allowed me to skip the first year of Japanese. I always wanted to learn a language but the ones that I chose never held my interest. I studied both Italian and Spanish for a while but I never had the motivation to continue. I grew up around a lot of Japanese media that was either on TV like Toonami, or playing video games from Japan like Metal Gear Solid, so I decided to try out the language and found that I had a great interest in it. I also know that Japan has one of the largest economies in the world, so with my degree in business, I think the addition of my knowledge of the Japanese language can be beneficial.

My hobbies are playing video games, watching anime, movies and seeing my friends. I play a lot of League of Legends (support and jungle main) but my favorite video game is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I have also recently got into the Persona series, currently playing through Persona 4 Golden. My favorite anime is Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I re-watch once a year. My favorite manga is a 3-way tie between Berserk, Steel Ball Run, and One Piece.

よろしくお願いします!