Journal #18

Reflection on Feedback from Creative Display #2

Image from Enspire 

Overall, the feedback I received indicates that more people were understanding the thrust of my project compared to my presentation of Creative Display #1. I attribute this to the time I put into fully conceptualizing each symbol of the display, which bolstered my ability to articulate the ideas contained in the work. 

People seemed to identify most with the social cause and were able to see the connection between my sculpture and the idea that we do not often think about what happens to materials after we have used them. They also demonstrated an understanding of the void in the middle of the sculpture this time. I again think this was a result of my ability to present my ideas in an order that was not overwhelming or too difficult to follow.

The biggest issue is going to be fully explaining how project works into the things I was studying this term. I view my project as a meditation on the re-birth protocol of nurse logs and our relationship to a version of that process in our own lives, recycling, in the vein of Buster Simpson’s work. Due to the obnoxious size of my sculpture and the ribbons that will project from it, attention-grabbing will not be an issue, but conveying main ideas quickly will. I hope to have sheets explaining the work along with pages on my blog site open next to it so that people who are intrigued can get a complete explanation.

Receiving feedback was helpful because I got to see what aspects of the project people were most interested in, which helps me think about how best to arrange pages on my blog site.