Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

Science innovation has been taking us to a new level of using new technology constantly over time. As more new forms of technology and art become available, they make impacts on human’s capability of accomplishing tasks. Before and even after listening to the TED talk by Jane McGonigal I still had  doubts on how possibly playing games could provoke people’s incentive and inspiration to  solve real world’s problems such as poverty, global warming, war, obesity, low employment rate, etc. But after listening to the presentation about Pacmecium, invented by a biophysicist in Stanford University, I realized the power and hope of playing games. The Pacmecium could be used to help students engage in biology (as well as non-scientists) and support biomedical research. Thus maybe I am now convinced by Jane McGornigal’s idea that “gamers” can success in solving real world problem by keep thriving and playing and inventing new games.

3 thoughts on “Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

1. I also watched the TED video and found it very interesting. The way she sees the benefits of video games is different than I had ever considered. I do think that technology will bring humans to a new level of knowledge and break boundaries. I also do think that there is now an obsession with video games that is not necessarily beneficial. However, the new technology that could possibly help solve real world problems is quite fascinating and a major achievement for the human race. Do you think that violent games could cause more harm than benefits?

2. I think your point of playing games is reasonable. People can use game to imitate some specific environment to help us find some beneficial solution or idea in the games. However, I think we should be aware of that game always is not the same with reality no matter how realistic imitation. So people can not just base on the game to find solution for the real problems, we should concern about the difference between real world and game before we apply the solutions that be found in the games.

3. I too watched the TED talk and thought it was an interesting idea but ultimately was not sold on her claims. I do think that there is potential to increase peoples problem solving abilities — there’s obviously people who become “pros” at solving problems in video games. But how applicable is that to the real world? Im not sure.

I did not see the video on Pacmecium, and have to admit after reading several other discussions on it find the concept a little weird. Do you think, however, that these types of “games” could some day be beneficial for curing cancer or some other real world issues? Seeing ways that we’re able to get organisms to interact in a safe, gaming environment could give us new insight on the way things interact. What are your thoughts?