Fashion Week: EXPOSED

I’m embarrassed to admit I have a very-guilty pleasure: the Kardashians. Every Sunday around 10 pm you can find me perched on the couch, glued to their show. Now this isn’t something I’m proud of, in fact I’m actually embarrassed to admit it. But their show is so ridiculously entertaining it takes my thoughts away from the stresses of school and gives me mindless laughter.

After scrolling through (still embarrassed to admit my obsession) the Kardashian’s latest Instagram post, I  came across one from Kim that was particularly surprising. The picture was of her sister, enhanced-8841-1392364081-1Kendall Jenner, strutting down the runway in a see-through number. At first I was in shock and disbelief that Kim would post something like this, although the Kardashians are known for their outrageous behavior. I then began to wonder why the Jenner sister would do such a thing. Although she is 18 and an adult by legality, what would this say about her brand? Would she be the next one to rise to stardom from nudity like her sister Kim?

The answer is: NO

Although nudity is seen as taboo with most celebrities, this behavior completely depends on how it’s revealed. Let me explain. First let us take a look at Miley Cyrus: teenage, child star who rose to fame at a very young age. As she grew up and set herself apart from the Disney Channel lime light, she began to establish herself through her own brand. From twerking on-stage and dancing suggestively at the VMA’s to her scandalous music videos, the pop singer has made a name for herself. However, most disapprove of Miley’s transformation. In the tabloids and all over social media, people were outraged and disgusted of Miley’s sexual expression.

So how is this performance different than Kendall’s?

CONTEXT

Kendall’s nude appearance was during Fashion Week, one of the most well-known, respected art events in the world. On the other hand, Miley’s sexual expression exists by itself in her music and during one of the most celebrity-publicized events of the year. Aside from the VMA’s initial purpose to show talented music videos from various artists, in recent years the event has evolved into a public display of sexual attention. From Britney and Madonna’s notorious kiss to Kanye West stealing Taylor Swift’s spotlight, the VMA’s will expose anything that to make headlines.

Although both Miley Cyrus and Kendall Jenner were given the choice whether or not to bare-all, their actions were perceived differently. Miley chose to express herself as a sexually-driven individual while Kendall’s nudity contributed to a well-respected art form.

Image credit: Cosmopolitan

One Response

1. en.wtf April 16, 2024 at 4:17 pm | | Reply

Thankyou for the info. nice post

en.WTF