Collect and Analyze Materials: Signs, Billboards, and Banners

For my last post about collected materials I’ve chosen some unusual marketing materials:

When I think of my favorite sign I automatically think of Portland’s famous white stag sign over the Burnside Bridge. A giant neon sign for a city is not what you usually think of for marketing, but I would argue that this sign has been a great marketing tool for Portland. When people think of the Portland sky line they think of this sign. This image represents Portland. The “old town” part of the sign is often replaced with “made in Oregon” and stamped on products. This sign has become iconic to Portland. If an organization could recreate this kind of branding, that would definitely be a marketing success.

And I shall end this logbook an a comedic note. This is a simple sign but you would be amazed how many shares it has on the internet. Years after I first saw this sign, I still see it posted to Facebook once and a while. We should never underestimate the impact of comedy, even with a sign. I used a picture of this sign to advertise the Whiskey Bike Ride for Pedalpalooza (yes there is such a thing: Portland) on my old blog and that post had more hits than most. I quickly learned when running a blog that comedy is what people repost, what people remember. Marketers should remember this when they design signs, billboards, banners or any marketing material.

2 thoughts on “Collect and Analyze Materials: Signs, Billboards, and Banners”

1. Collecting and analyzing materials like signs, billboards, and banners is a fascinating endeavor that can provide valuable insights into culture, advertising trends, and societal messages. These visual elements are pervasive in our environment, yet their impact and nuances often go unnoticed.

By actively engaging in the collection and analysis of such materials, you not only develop a keen eye for design and communication but also gain a deeper understanding of the messages and symbolism embedded in our daily surroundings. It’s a wonderful way to explore the intersection of art, communication, and culture.

Moreover, this practice can be especially insightful for marketers, sociologists, and cultural researchers as it offers a window into the ever-evolving landscape of public discourse and persuasion techniques. Whether you’re examining the evolution of branding, political campaigns, or social movements, the study of signs, billboards, and banners can uncover layers of meaning that enrich our understanding of the world around us.

So, keep up the great work in this intriguing field of study, and continue to share your findings and analyses with others. Your work contributes to a more critical and visually literate society. Buy 5 Star Google Reviews

2. I also appreciate how you provide further reading suggestions and resources at the end of your posts. It shows your commitment to helping your readers dive deeper into the subject matter if they wish to. Buy google map reviews

Overall, your blog is a treasure trove of information, and I’m looking forward to exploring more of your content. Keep up the fantastic work, and I’ll be sure to share this post with my network!