Thoreau

After reading Thoreau I could not shake this feeling that things would be so much easier if the world was simpler like Thoreau lived for those two years. The simplicity kind of life that he lives and little amount of money he uses is astounding. The sense of community that Thoreau is surrounded with helping him start out, is where I feel that in “Economy” he is expressing the need to get back to nature. Thoreau being able to draw off of his own experience, freely using “I” and describing nature so brilliantly.

“We might try our lives by a thousand simple tests; as, for instance, that the same sun which ripens my beans illumines at once a system of earths like ours. If I had remembered this it would have prevented some mistakes.” (10)

I really like this little quote because it shows the world works together. How everything is all connected and if we remembered that our lives would be a lot easier just like Thoreau’s life was simple when he was connected and surrounded by nature. Everything in his life was simpler. He had to work harder to get what he needed but he didn’t use more than what he needed to survive from nature.