WOW (s4): The Social Player Type

Device: Laptop
Location: Bedroom
Time: 1 hour

I actually tried to help out another player against two of his/her/their enemies. The player was alone and fighting two game characters at once. I clicked on the attackers but for some reason, I wasn’t able to shoot them with my arrows. I noticed that in the chat section, some of the players in Dalaran were chatting with each other. Someone said “what’s up” and another player responded with “deez nuts”. I posted “omigod” into the chat as a response. Either the previous comment or my own got an “lol” from another player. During this session, I re-encountered a game character named Lilian and unwittingly administered poison to a dwarf prison before my computer shut down due to low battery power.

In the last blog post, I expressed an interest in different aspects of the World of Warcraft world as well as a set focus on rising in level (I reached level eight in this session). This time around, I realized that I’ve been acting as a socialist player type in this session as well as in the second session. When I played the game with Alyssa, I soaked some of her gamer knowledge. I took time to interact with the players in this session, however I don’t find them more interesting than the game world . . . yet. I have a theory that the longer I play this game, the more I’ll want to bond with other players and lose my focus on interacting with the world.

Anyhow, I noticed that one of the characters I met during my first thirty minutes with World of Warcraft reappears a couple times. I met an Undead named Lilian. For one of my first quests, I had to approach her and convince her that she’s dead. For the second quest involving her, I used a mirror as proof that she’s no longer a living, breathing person. During this session, I saw Lilian encaged and destined for certain death. My friend Alyssa even mentioned her when we played together. Apparently, Lilian has a sad story, which I have the opportunity to see unravel. I would classify this as an embedded narrative since I’ve progressively learned more about her.