Zork I ( 2): Simulation or Narrative

Location: Bedroom
Device: Laptop
Time: 1 hour

During my first session, I attempted to draw a map but for this session, I didn’t bother. I got lost in the maze by the troll room and continued going in different directions until something happened. I ran across a polite thief who killed me and took my stuff before I could retaliate. He used a stiletto and acted first. I restarted in the forest with an empty inventory and slowly retrieved the items I lost, which were scattered randomly about. I explored the world below the ground more and explored a dam and an art studio.

Zork seems to be more of a simulation than a narrative. There isn’t a set story mapped out in the game, as described in the chapter on Simulation versus Narrative by Gonzalo Frasca. However, I can’t rule out that Zork isn’t a narrative since there’s a sequence of locations I have to experience before reaching certain parts of the game. For instance, while I played Zork, I encountered a bolted door during the first session and then I came across a gate I couldn’t pass through. These moments hint that I’ll have the option to reach what’s on the other side further along in the game. I believe that Zork is a simulation since there are multiple endings and each player has a slightly different experience of the game. One player may encounter the thief like I did and die, or alternatively survive without a scratch. When I referred to the same Youtube video I mentioned in session one, I watched the youtuber enter three or four commands until the troll we both faced was effectively slain. It took me two commands. If I restarted the game, the number of commands I would have to enter in order to kill the troll would probably change.

2 thoughts on “Zork I ( 2): Simulation or Narrative