Session 4: Civilizations

Location: Bedroom

Device: Laptop

Time: 8:40-9:10am, 10:05-10:35pm

I spent the first twenty minutes moving around my units, breaking a peace treaty with the Chinese, surviving three separate raiding parties, and uncovering more land. I wasn’t able to save my progress until I hit the thirty minute mark. During that time, I also couldn’t pause the game, which I found rather inconvenient. I left my laptop on and the game page open whenever I needed to take a break. After the first twenty minutes, I got bored of moving each individual unit and decided to try Civilization 3 to see if it was any different. It wasn’t.

I noticed that before I can select a Civilization version or a tribe (there were less tribe option in this version than in Civilization 7), there’s a list of names and then the title of the game. I’ve tried skipping it but to no avail. The intro section about the earth’s formation wasn’t skippable either.

During this game, I chose a Roman tribe, with a general named Zio. I created two different cities and moved soldier units around the land only to discover that I was on an island. A list popped up, stating the top five cities in the world, and none of them were on my island. All the other foreign cities must have been across the water.

I started listening to my own music as I played Civilization 3, which altered my interaction with the game. I was less concerned about the advancement of my tribe and more focused on engaging my attention. I got bored pretty quickly with moving several units around a confined space. In the previous sessions, I played Civilization with no sound. I tried experiencing the game with its original music but after about a minute, I turned the sound off. I ended this session without saving the game.