Session 3: Civilizations

Location: Bedroom

Device: Laptop

Time: 1 hour

I started all over. Out of a list, I chose to play Civilization 6 (instead of 7, which I played during the last two sessions) and a higher level of difficulty (Warlord instead of Chieftain). My civilization was Roman and I named my leader Giovanni. Once I established my city, a sequence of images and text involving Archaeology (and the desire to learn about my civilization’s history / outcome) appeared on the screen. I’m not sure why they didn’t appear in Civilization 7.

I gained a legion plus a cavalry by interacting with houses placed in different spots on the island. I moved my legion around the area, uncovering more land with each move and discovered that I was stuck on a little island. I couldn’t attack or interact with any other cities. Ocean engulfed the land I had uncovered and my units couldn’t cross the ocean. I was stuck. After moving my units around the territory one more time, I determined not to wait for something to happen.

I then started a new game with Civilization 7, hopeful that I wouldn’t end up on an island. I found two mercenary parties and gained some cavalry. I defended my city against two random barbarian raiding parties, signed a peace treaty with the Babylonians (until they got in my way), convinced the Germans to wage war on the Babylonians, and explored farther beyond my city. My city increased in rank from “Hopeless” to the most “Glorious Civilization in the World”.

During this session, I discovered that I could save the game on drive C and was finally able to save my progress in the game. The lack of control over where and when I could save was really frustrating. I’m accustomed to games that would let you save at any point in time.