Fun Home Reflection

After reading a couple chapters of “Fun Home,” I discovered that an individuals sense of home can derive from personal interests and desires. The father reveals his idea of home through his passion of home decor and construction. In chapter 1, Bechdel states that “historical restoration wasn’t his job. It was his passion. And I mean in every sense of the word.”(pg. 7). He is most dedicated to maintaining his dream home rather than sustaining strong family bonds. The father utilized the kids as workers or “extensions of his own body”  forced to assist with the home duties. Due to limited free time for family bonding due to house work and jobs, the lack of relationships and connections between the the parents and children resulted in isolation among the family. The author, Bechdel, believed her father “treated his furniture like children, and his children like furniture”(pg.14). During Bechdel’s childhood, she received limited desired affection and attention from her father resulting in Bechdel’s detachment with the house and her dad.

While reading the comic, it was interesting to view the images of the story in relation to the dialogue. The use of illustration with text provided enhanced insight into the characters and theme or ideas of the story. It increased my engagement and interest of each chapter through analyzing important details of each illustration. I observed the use of color and the structure of the panels and gutters to discover important themes or symbols. Similarly, I enjoyed viewing images of the house and obtaining visual representation of each family member. During the chapter of the father’s death, I was surprised by the lack of sorrow emotions among the family regarding the tragic event. The family obtained emotionless, detached expressions through the funeral scene while the relatives appeared more distraught and depressed.

I wonder why the parents chose to remain married regardless of their conflicts?

25 thoughts on “Fun Home Reflection

1. Your question about the parents remaining married is insightful! It seems to me that Bechdel herself wondered this about her parents, and she is using her memoir to explore this question. You might consider a closer read of the panels in the book that relate specifically to marriage or to Bechdel’s mother. I wonder if others in the class have any insights about this as well.

2. Great post!! I am very glad to read this post as you have shared very knowledgeable stuff 🙂 I discovered this blog really helpful in order to enhance the knowledge and I will definitely share your post with my friends in order to enhance their knowledge!!
    https://www.geminair.com.au/

3. When you construct your home you may try to build a plan that how you home will looks like when do this or that but always keep your home simple as simple you can because it reduce the decoration cost as well as the standard you set with simplicity become the desire of everyone. Packaging & Printing

4. The Trade Buzz is a leading B2B marketplace where you can interact with global manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, and importers to conduct business online.

5. I’m impressed, I must say. Very rarely do I come across a blog that’s both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your blog is informative.
    You must visit here to improve your marketing skills https://moonlanding.media/marketing/

6. I go through with this post and I found it really very interesting, keep sharing such more informative ideas with us. Here Digital t-shirt printing is providing different custom painting, you must visit to get more information.