Mykayla Friday

This is a photo of me and my emotional support dog, Simba, on the first day of senior year!!

Degree: BFA, Jewelry and Metalsmithing

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

2022-2023 Scholarship
David McCosh Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts

I Am Originally From Newberg, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because of its art programs, specifically product design. I also liked the wide variety of art classes offered in the College of Design.

I took the intro the jewelry and metalsmithing class fall term of my sophomore year. My professor, Anya Kivarkis, told me I was a natural at metalsmithing, and I fell in love with the art and took classes each term since then.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I have been heavily affected by suicide in my life, my father passed by suicide when I was young, a friend in high school, a neighbor, and a family friend. I have also had a personal struggle with suicide and mental health. I incorporate the awareness of suicide and prevention in my art pieces, using the semi colon a lot as a symbol. I want to make art that advocates for mental health, and donate proceeds to organizations.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Anya Kivarkis first got me hooked on jewelry and metalsmithing, and has always been a great resource for me. She has taught me so many techniques and ideas that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am an Intramural supervisor at the UO Student Recreation Center, and I also participate in a lot of intramural sports. I started working in intramurals my freshman year, and have been involved every term since. I love the community and the games, and the way I can be active at my job and as a student in a fun and casual way!

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
Participating in the annual jewelry sale. It has helped me understand the world of selling art and making it in a production style.

AFTER GRADUATION
I am looking into Graduate programs in New York, and plan to get my MFA in Jewelry and Metalsmithing.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is helping me continue to stay enrolled at UO and finish my BFA, as well as focus on school and extracurriculars and not financial issues.

THANK YOU!!!