Megan Shull

This is a photo from an open studio at the University of Oregon. In the photo you can see portions of my work.

Degree: BFA, Sculpture

Expected Graduation Date: Summer 2020

I’m From: Eugene, Oregon 

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the University of Oregon after working at UO for a few short years. Although the job position I held was in the College of Education, I found the University of Oregon as a whole to be a welcoming place, so when I decided to return to school, the University of Oregon was the right choice. The College of Design felt accessible and assisted me in making informed decisions about the path I wanted to take once I was here. I work closely with my instructors/mentors and this has helped prepared me as an artist outside of academia.

After holding a job position that created visual support materials for early intervention and early childhood special education, I knew I wanted to further my career in the arts or other creative fields. I believe that pursuing a degree in art would allow me to do so.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
When I was creating visual support materials for early intervention and early childhood special education, I was able to see the value in these materials as they helped children reach their goals, gain independence, communicate more efficiently, have a positive experience in the classroom, and more. Although these support materials may seem simple, it opened me up to a larger conversation about the impact art can have. On an individual level, I began to understand where my voice fit in this larger conversation. As someone who lives with chronic illness, I found making art provided me with a new vocabulary that allowed me to talk about my experiences and think about avenues of advocacy through art. I believe these experiences have given me a unique approach to my studies.

My Influential Professors
Both Amanda Wojick and Tannaz Farsi have had a positive impact on me. Both have shared their knowledge and understanding of historical works of art, contemporary art, and conceptual art. They have supported the concepts and ideas I am interested in pursuing, as well as provided additional resources, artist to look at, ways of working and process, and so on. I have felt challenged in the best way possible and ultimately it has pushed my work to a new level. With both Amanda Wojick and Tannaz Farsi being practicing artists, I have gained valuable feedback and advise when it comes to professional practice, leading me to feel more prepared for life after graduation.

My Extracurricular Activities
I am an intern at Ditch Projects in Springfield, Oregon. Ditch Projects is an artist run space and nonprofit. By interning here, I have  gained a lot of experience in a variety of roles. I have gained experience in exhibition installation and deinstallation, gallery events and procedures, and knowledge about the operations of a nonprofit artist run space. I am also a sculpture studio monitor with responsibility for overseeing open studio times. During this time I ensure safety protocols and remain available for questions from students. This has been a great experience since I get to work with other students at varying levels and this has provided me with a deeper knowledge of tools, equipment, and protocols.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
As a BFA candidate we receive a studio space that we have access to anytime. The ability to work in the facilities and be in the studio environment was a surprising energy and it has been great to talk with my studio-mates, faculty in the building, and other students. Studio culture and community has been one of the greatest learning experiences for me thus far.

After Graduation
First and foremost, after graduation, I intend to be a practicing artist and continue to pursue related opportunities such as calls for exhibition and artist residencies. I also hope to become involved in art and art outreach in the community. Finally, I plan to pursue a masters degree in the future. My education from the College of Design will have prepared me to take these next step.

Your Gift
This scholarship means my artwork can be executed through materials and access to resources, and in turn, generate important conversations. With work that I make, I can further pursue calls to exhibit, artist residencies, and other opportunities that continue to propel my career as an artist.

I feel incredibly lucky to have received this scholarship and can’t stress enough just how much it will help me reach my goals. Receiving this scholarship has made me think about what contributions in the future I may be able to make, to whatever degree that might be possible, to support others pursuing an education in art. Supporting people pursuing a degree in art is important, and it is important for individuals to know there is a community out there that values art and the future of art. Thank you so much!