Gracianna Rothering

This is a picture of me (right) and my brother (left). It was taken at Strawberry Fest in Florida. My brother lives there, and I try to visit him as much as possible.

Degree: MFA in Art

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2025

Prior Degree
BFA, Augustana University Sioux Falls, South Dakota

2023 Scholarship
David McCosh Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts
Jan Zach Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts
Liu Shiming Foundation Scholarship

I Am Originally From Adopted from Bogotá, Colombia, Raised in Cochrane, WI

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because of their studio spaces and darkroom facilities. The facility is also incredibly diverse and very talented. I was also offered a Graduate Employee position that comes with health insurance, which provides a level of security.

I have always lived in the art world and thought that I could use it to make an impact on the world around me.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
As a person of color, I am compelled to tell my story and show everyone that my voice is important and needs to be heard.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
The professor that I look up to is Tarrah Krajnak, Assistant Professor of Art. She is a fantastic artist and has a very similar upbringing as me. She has become my go-to professor and a good friend. She has taught me to be myself and make what I wanted to make but also challenged me and pushed me to keep going.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
Don’t conform to the popular opinions, be yourself, and you will be ok.

AFTER GRADUATION
My goal is to sell my work and be a working artist. However, is would also be nice to be an assistant to another known artist to get my foot in the door.

YOUR GIFT
Scholarships are essential because it helps me achieve more when money becomes a factor. Art is a costly major and lifestyle, and getting help makes it possible to push and create more without restrictions. It also shows that people still care about young artists trying to speak their voices.

Thank you for allowing me to flourish in a time of need. Your donation has helped me continue to make work that’s important to me and others.