Elaina Dowdy

This is a photo of me taken at the tulip farm in Woodburn. Oregon is home to so many beautiful sights.

Degree: BS in Art

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

2021-2022 Scholarship
David McCosh Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts

I Am Originally From Tenmile, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I never thought that I would have the opportunity to attend a university, but late last summer there was a drastic change of plans. I talked to several different colleges, and after examining my options carefully, I decided that UO would be the perfect fit. Since becoming a student here, I have greatly enjoyed my time in the College of Design. It has expanded my view of the arts, and it has allowed me to grow very quickly as an artist myself. I am very excited to see what my senior year will bring.

I chose my major incorrectly many times before accepting that art is where I was meant to be. For a long time, I was pursuing medical (which would explain the bachelor’s of science), and while I had an aptitude for that, I wasn’t happy. Since switching to art, I have not looked back.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I grew up in a rural area on a farm. Most of the people that I was raised around were very conservative, which is quite different than the majority of people that I am around now. This has allowed me to obtain a greater understanding of a wider variety of people and to view life from several perspectives. By trying to understand the concerns of all people, especially those with opinions different than mine, I think that I will be able to make a greater and more informed impact on my community.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
The professor which has been the most impactful for me has been Sylvan Lionni. I am currently taking my second painting class with him. Acrylic paint is my favorite medium, so I always felt very passionately about that class. Fortunately Sylvan is even more passionate about it, so I have been privileged to listen to the things he has learned about painting over the years. It will be interesting to see how my perspective will continue to change throughout my time as a student regarding painting and its place in the world.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I enjoy hiking and being outside very much. With the COVID pandemic our classes have been entirely remote, so I haven’t had the opportunity to join any sports or community activities. When we’re all back on campus, I plan to look into the outdoors program.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
I took a literature course in the English Department titled ENG 316 Queer Versatility because I wanted to learn what actual LGBTQ+ members had to say and how they view the world rather than trusting the media or internet community for all of my information. As a straight cis female, I had very little to contribute to this course, but a lot to learn. I took it as an opportunity to keep my mouth closed and listen to the experiences of those around me. I am grateful to have been welcomed into this class as warmly as I was, and will always treasure the experience.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduating UO, I plan on attending another college to obtain my teaching license so that I can teach art at a high school level. I like to work with people, and I believe that this career path would put me in a position to impact the lives of the coming generation to a great extent. We all had that teacher that changed our lives, and I would like to be that teacher.

YOUR GIFT
I did not think that I would have the opportunity to attend a university purely because of the cost. Because of generous scholarships like this one, I am able to continue my education without the constant fear of crippling debt.

Thank you heartily for their contribution to my studies. I would not be in school if it were not for people like you. In that way, this scholarship not only impacts my future, but also the future of everyone who I will be interacting with once I have my dream job. It is a ripple of positive effects from this one kind act. A lot of life is like that. People like to talk about negative chain reactions, but positive ones are just as easy to start, and can often reach further. Thank you for your generosity!